Chapter Nineteen: WWND

"Negan," the guy beside me said, instantly dropping to his knees in front of his supreme leader, as did the rest of the group. I simply looked up at him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow at him.

"Well, apparently I'm getting you on that run you begged me for, so I think I deserve a little gratitude," he said, slowly stepping near me as he held one of his hands up to his ears, waiting for a reply. I rolled my eyes, but continued anyway without granting him eye contact.

"Thanks," I muttered.

"I'm sorry, doll, I couldn't hear you. What was that?" He asked.

"I said thanks," I repeated, much louder. He seemed in... a mood. Had Fat Joey told him? Or was he just like this because of how much of a prick he was? I couldn't tell, but I didn't want to risk it. As soon as he smiled at me for the thanks, I took off towards the truck they were loading, helping them lift the last bag of supplies before throwing my own in and going to hop un the back.

"Ah, ah, ah," Negan stopped me, grabbing my attention, "boys, hand her her bag back, will you? You're sitting right-y tidy up front with yours truly," he said, pointing at himself with his free thumb.

"All due respect, Boss, but you weren't scheduled to come on this run today," the man who had challenged me, yet was still kneeling spoke.

"Well, plans have changed. I'm driving, in fact," he said, making his way to the front of the truck as somebody else held out my bag for me. I snatched it, going through every reason why he'd change his plans to come on this run. Was he trying to sabotage that I find the things I wanted? This was my only shot! I let out a deep breath, trying to let the anger roll off of me as I joined him in the front of the truck. As soon as both the doors were shut and we were away from his men, I looked at him.

"What the fuck is this, Negan? Are you supervising me now?" I questioned, crossing my arms as he raised an eyebrow at me before chuckling.

"No, honey... Besides, the supervisor's Buck," he said, starting the car with the keys that were already in the ignition.

"So then what is is?" I asked.

"I'm your husband now, so I gotta protect you. Runs are dangerous. Remember that walker that almost got you last time?" He asked and I could almost feel the mansplaining coming on.

"Because one of your men were careless!" I exclaimed.

"Well, unfortunately my men are careless pretty often. Why do you think I'm so strict?" He asked.

"Because you're sadistic," I muttered, but it gained a laugh from him.

"Well, a little I'll admit," he nodded. Then he cracked his door open, leaning out to look back at his men, "Are you pussies ready yet?!" He shouted back at them, reminding me of a drill sergeant. I heard one of them yell back something I couldn't understand before he shut the door and began driving.

Even if my plans had been slightly altered with his being here, I would admit that it was much easier to see the surroundings from the front of the truck rather than the back. I studied the outside of the sanctuary carefully, noticing I didn't see many guards patrolling around the area of the fence the hole was in. We drove straight for a while, there was a road to go straight on. Once it split off was when we started making turns.

"Which way?" He asked when we came to a fork in the road, and I looked at him in shock.

"What?"

"This is your run, so which way do you want to go? If you pick the wrong path, you won't find shit and it'll be your fault, but if you pick the right path, who knows? We could stumble across a gold mine," he explained. I looked at the two paths carefully. The one to the left looked like it was traveled more often, which could mean there was more over there, but could also mean it was already cleared out.

"Right," I said, trying to do so with confidence. He nodded and continued driving, doing this a couple more times as we drove before we came across what looked like an abandoned school.

"Do we stop?" He asked and I looked at him again, confused by the question, "stop and look through the school or keep going?" He asked. I glanced at the school, which I was guessing was an elementary school. A school wouldn't have clothes I'm looking for in it.

"Keep going," I said, and without another word he did so. As we started driving off, something caught my eye. In one of the windows was a woman, bloodied with her mouth open as if she were screaming at us, banging on the window, "Stop!" I shouted and Negan stepped on the brakes.

"What?" He asked and I pointed to the window.

"There, there's a woman. I think she's trapped," I explained.

"Well, that's her problem then, isn't it?" He asked, prepared to keep driving, but before he could I opened my door and hopped out, "Lou, get back in the truck," he ordered.

"I'm going in for her. There could be children in there!" I shouted, "Are you coming or not?" I asked and he groaned, putting the truck in park and turning it off before hopping out. The back opened as his men jumped out, looking similarly confused.

"What's the hold up?" One asked.

"Well, fellas, looks like we're going back to school!" Negan exclaimed.

"There's a woman holed up in one of the rooms. We gotta help her. All I've got is a knife so I need somebody with a gun in front, Negan and I will stay secured in the center, more guns in the back. If we stay in a formation and stay alert, we'll be in and out in no time. We can check around through the windows to decide the best entrance point," I explained, watching as Negan's eyes almost twinkled. Before his men could even ask him he nodded.

"You heard her. Come on, let's move while we still got daylight to kill," he ordered. I could tell his guys weren't fans of the plan, but they weren't about to go against it either.

"You three, cover the back of the school," I pointed to three in the group of seven men, "you four, the right side. Negan and I will cover the left. If anyone shoots or screams, we'll come running. Otherwise, keep it quiet—No need to draw any more attention. Got it?" I asked and all the men nodded before turning to run to their side of the school. I turned to Negan for just a moment before beginning my way to the window I saw the woman in.

"You know if we get her, the run is over right? We'll have to take her back to the sanctuary," he said, trailing behind me. I paused for a simple moment, going over the idea in my head. Being forced to wear some of the most uncomfortable clothes for the rest of my stay at the sanctuary didn't sound luxurious in the slightest, but... I couldn't turn away a pleading woman who needed our help. I knew Negan would think differently if it were his stuff on the line, but this wasn't his decision; it was mine.

"That's okay," I said simply, pushing on, "It's worth it."