Chapter Sixteen: The Big Day

"Where is Negan? I need to speak with him before the wedding. I want to renegotiate our terms," I requested as the man who'd vaguely introduced himself as D hastily lead me down multiple different hallways.

"You're going to marry Negan, and in return he's going to spare your friend. There aren't going to be further negotiations," D simply replied and I grumbled under my breath.

"It's important!" I growled, trying my best to keep up with him without having to jog and trying not to break an ankle while doing so.

"You know what's important?" D stopped, turning to me, "Survival. You say a peep out of line or make one wrong move and somebody's going to die, and that blood won't be on Negan's conscience, it'll be on yours. So you keep your mouth shut, and everybody lives. Got it?" He asked, staring deep into my eyes.

"Fine," I agreed softly. With that he continued his walk, "How long have you been here?" I asked after a minute of walking in silence,

"That is none of your business, and Sherry is none of my concern," he said, but it felt forced.

"Mhm... I bet Negan wouldn't like to know the way you're looking at one of his wives," I said, simply trying to get some sort of reaction out of him, only he just paused, took a deep breath, and continued on. I frowned, deciding this teasing wasn't worth it anymore.

Well... This was it. In just a few short minutes I was going to be married to Negan... Oh, my god! I completely forgot you have to kiss someone when you marry them! Ew...

D eventually stopped when we got to a somewhat small room where a table was set up with a table cloth over it, but no food. What was even stranger was there was no Negan and nothing that would indicate this was for a wedding.

"Stay here. I'll be back in a bit after I make sure everything's in order," D explained, leaving the room and me alone. I looked around, but there really wasn't much to look at. There was a seat that I took haven in after a few minutes of waiting, but the rest of the room was just empty. After what felt like hours, D finally returned, this time to take me somewhere else.

The next place wasn't very far from that room, but I did recognize it instantly. It was the same room Negan had gathered us in for the punishment. As soon as we entered, D left my side to join Negan at the opposite side of the room. Beside him stood... Dr. Carson? I wasnt about to question it. Negan was actually dressed nice, to my surprise. I mean, nicer than a white t-shirt and leather jacket wasn't hard to accomplish. He wore a simple black button up and black tie, looking at me he grinned before finally noticing my outfit. Surrounding us were strangers, people who no doubt lived in the sanctuary and were kneeling to Negan, and now myself.

Hesitantly I stepped forward, and loud music came crashing down playing the bride song from any classic movie. I could feel my heart in my throat, then noticed all Negan's other wives were standing beside where I was supposed to be. I assumed they were supposed to be my bridesmaids? Slowly walking up to the "alter", which was just Negan and Dr Carson out in the open, I looked around at everyone. Most people didn't even look at me. When I got up there, Negan was still grinning ear to ear, but something about it didn't feel genuine.

"What the fuck are you wearing?" He asked through his teeth, quiet enough for only me to hear and still smiling before turning to the crowd, "Ladies and Gentlemen, my beautiful bride," he announced and they all applauded.

"There was no way I was gonna wear that puffy ass dress," I did the same as him, forcing an obviously fake smile onto my face.

"That puffy ass dress is tradition," he retorted.

"This is not a traditional wedding," I widened my eyes in what I could only describe as a crazy "shut the fuck up" gesture.

"Today we come together to celebrate the union of Negan and Louise-"

"Lou," I cut Dr Carson off, nodding at him. He paused before continuing.

"And... Lou Harris, in holy matrimony. If anyone should object that these two should be wed, please do so at this time," he said, pausing to see if anyone would object (which, of course, no one did) before continuing, "Please take each other's hands at this time," he instructed and I looked down, noticing Negan was not wearing his gloves, and hesitantly reached for his hands, "Lou, do you take Negan to be your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, until death do you part?" He asked, skipping through what I was sure ninety percent of what an actual wedding would be. I took a deep breath, looking at Negan's egotistic smile. I felt his hands give mine a soft squeeze, and I felt as though I could projectile vomit at this moment.

"I do," I breathed after a long moment.

"And Negan, do you take Lou to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, for better, for worse—?"

"I do, Doc, get on with it," Negan cut him off, causing him to once again pause before nodding and continuing.

"Then I pronounce you... Man and wife. You may kiss the-"

"Wait a second, don't we get to resite our vows?" I asked, cutting him off once more. I was doing it half to delay having to feel Negan's disgusting lips on mine, and half because I really... Really... Needed to talk to him about something and if this was my only chance to do it before we were... Officially married... Then now would be when I need to do it. The look on his face was one of complete shock and I had no doubt he thought I may possibly actually have something nice to say.

"U-Uhm, well," Dr Carson looked to Negan for the answer.

"Well, what do you have to say, darling?" Negan asked and I took a deep breath, trying to rehearse in my brain how this was going to go down.

"Negan," I began, "We've only known each other for a... Very short time and... In that time, I've knocked you out, kidnapped you, annoyed plenty of your men in the process, and you've had me beaten and tortured and tried to kill my only living family member for bringing me one object of joy in the hellhole of a place you kept me in," I started.

"Alright, that's enough," he said, clearly already over my vows.

"But!" I continued, trying to keep him listening, "As we begin this... Newfound relationship together, I'd like the chance to put that all behind us and start fresh. See, Negan... I've never been married before or... Had a boyfriend, been kissed, Hell, the only man who's seen my bare ass was my father changing my diapers as a baby," I smiled, looking down at our hands intertwined, "and seeing as how this will be my first and last relationship, I'd like to imagine that we could make it just that. A proper relationship," I looked up at him, directly into his eyes as I finished.

"So, as I stand here in front of you and all your people, still trying to prepare myself for this jump into a new kind of life we could live, I humbly request that during the time we are wed, you release your previous wives back to their previous lives, while still granting them the care and protection they and their families have been promised."