Chapter 14

HI guys! I'm very sorry for not updating recently, school has been crazy. I just want to thank you guys for everything. I would have never imagine this much people taking their time to read something I wrote. Thank you again and make sure to vote and comment!

I was sitting on a chair, facing the kids. My hands were sweating as I did my best to grab steady the gun in my hands. I was guarding, and making sure nothing happened to the innocent kids. Four hours had passed since Mike told us to go to bed, but it felt like I had been there for a life time.

Everything was black, just lighted by the beautiful bright moon. Some of the kids were sleeping in a couple of beds, but most of them were laying on the floor with pillows and blankets over them.

The door besides me suddenly opened. Ben and Mike were standing in the door with their guns, ready to shoot.

"Emily! We need to take them out of here now." Ben told me as he grabbed my backpack.

"What's going on?" I asked them in confusing. They were waking everyone up, and they weren't explaining anything.

"Claiton made a deal with the Skitters, we need to go." Mike said as he and Ben woke up the children by gently shaking them.

The first thing that came to my mind were my siblings. They were definitely scared, and I couldn't be there to comfort or protected. I hoped and I trusted the others were talking care of them.

I started shaking the children's body trying to wake them up. All of the children woke up within a few seconds and begun to gather their stuff.

"Everyone's ready?" Mike asked.

All kids nodded their heads and followed Ben and Mike.

"Doctor?"

"Don't think I forgot about you Nicholas." I told him with a big smile.

I grabbed him in my arms and placed my gun in my back.

The feet of the others echoed in the stairs. Out of nowhere they stopped, but then the steps begun to sound faster and faster.

After a few seconds, loud screams were heard from all the house. It was Tessa, she was yelling for her dad and shout the we were escaping.

"What's happening doctor?" Nicholas asked me as he grabbed even more tightly from behind my neck.

"Shh, everything is fine." I said as I moved my feet as fast as I could.

With each step I took my hopes of leaving that house alive were fewer and fewer. All those thoughts stop when I was him.

Yes, him. Hal was just running up stairs as our eyes suddenly connected.

He looked at me and his then tensed muscles relaxed drastically. You could even see a hint of a smirk on his face.

Hal sighed.

"Where were you? Are you okay?" His voice was shaking and his breathing was very fast.

"I'm fine, someone needed to get Nicholas," He nodded his head. "You aren't going to get rid of me that easily."

He chucked briefly before he talked, "Let's have this chat later, now we need to get moving," Hal grabbed my gun. "I'll cover you, just run."

"Be careful Hal."

He winked at me and said, "Always."

----

We were all now walking up the street. Mike was the reason we were all alive at these moment, he was probably killed by Claiton's men.

No one was talking, it was dead silence. Except from some kids were whining and complaining about walking without stopping since we left the house. All of then were exhaust, we left the house at the middle of the night and they didn't got the chance to really sleep.

I had a sleepy Colton on my arms and Avery taken by the hand. I was and starving and exhausted, I was on guard all night long, and last time I slept was on Nicholas room for some minutes.

"How are you Nicholas?" I asked him who was at Hal's back at my right side.

Hal was caring Nicholas in piggy-ride with a gun in his hands.

"I'm good, could I just sleep a little more?"

I nodded my head and continue my path.

"Are you okay? You look a little pale." He asked.

"I'm just very tired and hungry."

He passed me a cereal bar.

"Thanks Hal."

"All right everybody we're going to hold up here for a couple of hours, then we're going to move out." He pointed to a house and motion us to walk inside.

----

"The rest of the kids are up in the bedrooms, and they're already asleep." I said.

Hal nodded. "You should really get some sleep Em."

"I'm just going to take a ten minutes nap, and then you need to wake me. Okay?"

Hal nodded his head as I walked towards the couch and laid there. My eyes closed, and I quickly felt asleep.

----

"Hey... Em, wake up." Hal interrupted my deep sleep.

"Ten more minutes, please." I said with my eyes still closed as I twirled on the couch.

"You have slept for more than half and hour." Hal told me with hint of mockery on his voice.

"Are we moving yet?" I said.

"Soon, but I need to get all the things ready if you can."

"Of course."

I went downstairs and called all the kids, so they could get ready.

"Em!" Colton scream as he ran towards me.

I hugged him.

"How are you doing Colt?"

"I'm fine, I had a great sleep."

"That's great! We are going to move soon so get your stuff together."

"I love you Em."

"I love you even more."

Colton smiled and went to get his things.

I got downstairs. Avery was playing a board game with Matt, Lourdes was organizing supplies and Hal was walking all around the kitchen. You could see he was worry.

"Where's Ben?"

"He went to look for help, he hasn't come back."

Those words were devastating, Ben was one of my only friends. He would definitely sacrifice himself for all of us, but I couldn't believe Hal let him leave. I wasn't going to discussion with Hal at that moment, because of the kids and it was obvious he was worry about Ben.

"Oh, can I talk with you for a moment Hal?"

Hal didn't said a word, he just followed be to the other room.

"He's fine, I'm sure of it."

"I know, I'm just worries about him and about all of you. I am the one suppose to protect all of you and I don't want to fail."

"You are doing an excellent job! We are here together, aren't we?"

"But Mike..."

"That wasn't your fault, he did it to save us."

I hugged him as tight as I could, and he responded it. He was having all the responsibility and I knew it wasn't easy. All he needed was some time and someone who made him see all what he has done for us.

"Good morning!" A male voice shouted from the outside of the house.

Our hug broke and all I did was to stood froze in the spot.

We had no escape out of these.

Please vote! It really makes a difference.