Chapter 5

Edited

     I scratched my throat a couple of time and started telling them everything.

     "Well, when the invasion we were all at our house. Both my parents, my sister, my two brothers and I, stayed at the basement and took turns to go scavenge for food and supplies. Normally, my mom and my older brother went together and I would go with my dad, but one day, my mother was sick and my sibling decided to go alone, but he never came back."

     I paused for a second remembering my older brother and looked at Tom, he was looking at me with interest and comprenhesion.

     "My father later decided it was best for us to start moving so we did just that, but then..."

     I stopped. Could they really be trusted? I wasn't sure just yet so instead of telling them the whole truth I re-arrenged some of the events that had happened to us. If I didn't, my siblings could be affected and I wasn't going to take that chance.

     "Then, one day we were found a house full of food, cloth and water. We stayed there three days, that was one of our biggest mistakes. We heard some of those aliens and my parents told us to lock-in on one of the rooms. We did it but I knew the door wouldn't stop them so we found one of those holes in the roof that was full of bags, w-we cleared it out and got in there." My voice was cracking and a tear scraped my eye.

     As I was telling the story a warm hand was placed on my shoulder, it was Hal's. It made me feel calm, which gave me strength to keep going.

     We stayed there ten minutes when we heard my dad and mom s-screaming. After some minutes the aliens left, so we got out, gathered all the supplies that were there and left. I found our parents bodies on the floor, they were... dead. After that we left to the woods, we stayed like that almost two weeks. Two weeks of thinking everyday that we wouldn't make it." I took a deep breath, wiped my tears and continued, "Colton, he is only four and he gets tired faster, but I pushed him so hard to keep going. I carried him most of time, but every time he asked for food I had no more excuses, simply there was no more food. We then spotted the school not so far away, but I slipped with something and hurt my head. The last thing I remembered was him sobbing and someone carrying me".

     I finished my story and sighed in relief. It was good to say it, I had never before. It was terrifying and so hard, but I was sure people had suffered far more than us. 

     "I'm very sorry for your lost," Tom continued, "But, here you can start from zero and have a better life."

     I nodded with a small smile, "We would like that very much."

     A safe place to stay? Sign me in

     "Emily, I will ask you a few questions to know where you can help us," Weaver told me, not taking his gaze off the paper on his desk.

     "Sure," I answered.

     "Do you know to shoot a gun?"

     "No, I don't."

     My parents had always thought it was a bad idea, normally I would do other thing like take care of Avery and Colton. My grandfather tried to teach me several times, but the least idea of actually killing a form of life was just horrible.

     "That's okay. Do you know how to cook?" He asked writing something on his paper.

     He looked like a good man, but you could see the sadness and the amount of responsibility on his shoulders.

     "I know how to cook but not very well. I recommend not to put my in the kitchen unless you want all the people at this place making line to the bathroom," I said deadly seriously.

     I heard some chuckles from behind, they were Hal's and Tom's, but Weaver just looked at me for a moment and then begun to write again.

     Tough crowd

     "I would like to help Dr. Glass at the hospital, my mom was a doctor and she taught me a lot of helpful things," I said.

     "Thank, we need all the help we can," Tom said with a big smile on his face.

     "Can I ask something?" I asked as I turned towards him.

     "Yes," Tom respond to my question.

     "Were are we going to sleep?"

     "We need some time, we are full, but when we find a place, we will let you know," Weaver answered.

     Tom and Weaver started to talk or disuse about something so I walked to the corner with Hal.