Chapter 46

Hope you guys haven't forgotten about this book, because I plan to continue writing it. It's been a while, but my friends convinced me to continue updating. I checked out the story and it has over 46K, it's crazy all the support it has received  Ps. I changed my name and profile picture in case you are confused.

The room was silent as everyone stared astonishingly at our actions. We were willing to risk our own lives for the rebel skitters, but they were blind to the fact that we wouldn't be able to win this war without them.

"Take the kid and the..., this thing to the meeting room. Captain, Tom, follow me."

I trailed behind them as deep inside I knew that, just as Ben, it was my obligation to be part of the discussion, I felt oddly enough that I was part of the rebel skitters, whether I wanted it or not. Last time I was too selfish to help out where I was needed the most, and I didn't plan to make that mistake again.

They escorted them to the meeting room, but before a soldier could close the door, I walked myself in. My body stood firmly, just as it had minutes ago trying to protect Ben. At the moment of my arrival, the soldiers inside seemed surprised and were about to protest when Captain Weaver spoke up and said I was cleared to be there, he knew the only way I was leaving was if they would carry me outside by force, and none of us had time for that.

No one said a thing against it.

"We'll begin if that's okay," Ben said, receiving a simple nod from his dad.

His spikes lit up, and the Red-eye Skitter started informing us about what they knew and asked for help to kill the Overlord that would be inspecting some things in the area.

I knew the Rebels were holding information from Tom and the others. From what the other dis-harnessed kid had told me when we connected through the spikes it was much more severe than Red-eye presented it, but maybe it was best to keep it a secret.

The meeting ended shortly, and after a few words with his dad, Ben walked out the door.

Wasting no time, I followed Ben, calling for him a few times. The third time I said his name, he turned around with a sad smile. 

Ben had changed so much since the last time I saw him, not in appearance, but his radiant energy wasn't that evident, and there was an anxious vibe surrounding him. The weight upon his shoulder was growing by the minute, and it was taking a toll on him. He was distant, and sometimes it felt like he wasn't there at all. There was a barrier around him, and it was impossible for anyone to get in. I was seriously afraid of joining him and changing to the point where I couldn't recognize myself, but I knew I had to help out and this was the best way to do so.

"I missed you." My arms moved around his torso in an embrace.

He was the only one that had gone some of the hard times I had suffered, and it was refreshing having him around, even if he wasn't the goofy Ben I knew.

"Me too, Emily," Ben responded, giving me a tight squeeze and letting go.

"It's really amazing what you're doing, Ben."

Ben sighed.

"I truly mean it, you have guided the rebels and helped so much by talking with Captain Weaver and your dad."

"The others don't trust us and...," Ben paused and his shoulders relaxed. "Emily, I'm scared. What if the won't help out? All the hard work surrounding the plan will go to waste because of it."

I guess he wasn't as hard as it seemed, he was afraid.

My hands moved to his shoulder and rested there, "Hey, it's okay. Tom's going to find a way, he always does, and you know it."

"I guess," he mumbled as he left his head hanging down.

"About that," my voice lowered, "I want to come with you."

He looked at me confused for a minute but didn't say anything.

"I'm joining the rebels and it's decided." Although I wanted to sound confident, I wasn't, and it showed in my voice. I wasn't sure it was the best thing I could do, but I knew that there was a strange feeling inside of me that told me to go, and I was going to follow my gut.

"Emily, you have your siblings to think about, and Hal-"

"I have thought long and hard, but Avery and Colton have my brother now and I have to do this for myself."

I received a nod and a sly smile in approval and we both agreed to meet in fifteen at the front door.

The faster, the better. I wasn't going to tell anyone that I was leaving, it would just make it harder to go. I couldn't see the little tears running down my sibling's faces, asking me if I was going to come back, I couldn't take it.

Walking through the halls, all I could think about was my brother's and sister's faces when they were told I was gone, their questioning eyes and confused expression. It was heartbreaking but as soon as those thoughts started flooding in, I pushed them away, I wasn't going to let my emotions get in the way of doing this.

Maybe I didn't have the abilities the other dis-harnessed kids had, but I was going to make myself helpful and I was sure one more of them could make the difference in winning this thing. I wondered if maybe that were I belonged after all.

I tried my best to avoid anyone from the Second Mass as I knew it could distract me and my plan to leave quietly and without giving goodbyes could be ruined. As I entered the room that I shared with my siblings after my fight with Hal, I stood at the door, taking it all in. I grabbed Derek's shirt and packed a few of my things, leaving without looking back.

I was walking as fast as I could without raising suspicion, fighting back the tears that were accumulating inside of me, but unfortunately, I bumped into someone. I prayed for it not to be the guy I was trying to evade at all cost, but it was him.

Damn it.

As I raised my eyes I saw my older brother staring back at me. He had a goofy smile on his face until he spotted my backpack and tilted his head.

"You're going somewhere?" 

I didn't know what to say so I just hugged him for a minute. I was afraid of his reaction and that he would be angry at me, but I had to tell him.

"I'm going with Ben, and before you can say anything, I need to do this, for myself."

He sighed and smiled sadly. "Okay, I get it."

"W-what?" I was so confused that my overprotective brother was letting me go with a bunch of kids and random skitters.

"You've grown so much, Em." He hugged me tightly. "I'm so proud of you for fighting for what you believe, and although I don't really like the idea, I respect it as long as you come back in one piece."

We both chuckled.

"I will. Thank you, Derek." I let go of the hug and adjusted my backpack.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you before, but I'm here now and I support you." His eyes looked straightly into mine, and at that moment I knew that I would be fine.

"Take care of Colton and Avery, they're my world." A tear escaped my eye, but I quickly brushed it off.

"Don't worry, you have done such good work while I was gone, I will keep them safe until you come back." He kissed my forehead one last time and we parted ways.

Please leave a comment below, I truly enjoy reading them, and they keep me motivated <3