Chapter 15

Hey guys! I just realize the story has more than 4700 reads! I really can't believe it, thank you. It mean the world to me. Because I'm so happy the first vote will get a dedication in this chapter, and the first and second comment will get a comment on their story. Thank you guys!

"Stay down." Hal whispered to all of us.

We were surround.

"All what we had worked for, was for nothing." That was my first thought. But I pushed it away as quickly as possible, we weren't gonna go down without even trying.

We only had Lourdes, Jimmy, Rick, Hal and I to protect and guide the rest of the children.

I nodded my head as Avery ran towards me. She hugged me and started to sob in my arms.

These are hard times, and these kids aren't supposed to be prepared for them. They should be playing and enjoying their childhood, not being scared because they don't know if they are gonna die.

"Shh... Everything is fine, we survived worse things," I cleaned the tears streaming down her face. "Stay here with Matt and Lourdes, I'll make sure the other kids are fine."

"I don't want to die, Emily."

"You won't."

"I'l take care of both of them."

"Thank you, Lourdes." I told her.

Lourdes took Avery's hand and took Matt and Avery in the kitchen to cover.

I got my gun and ran upstairs. I was sure if I didn't want to shoot anyone, but I was ready to do it.

I opened the door quickly and all eyes stopped in me. Most kids were resting, while others chatted in low voice. The curtains were close, so Clayton's men couldn't see the kids in the room.

"Guys, I need you to stay here. You got it? Stay down and don't go close the windows. Lock the door and don't open it until I come back for all of you." I told them quickly, we hadn't time to loose.

"Em, what's going on?" Colton asked taking my hand.

His blue eyes were penetrating mine, and I wasn't sure what to tell him. Colton has a great effect on me, something I can't really describe. He makes me vulnerable, in a good way.

"I'll be right back, just stay here with the others." I told him as I rubbed my eyes nervously.

I kissed him on top of his head and got out of the room.

As I was walking downstairs a couple of shots were heard.

No, no, this can't be happening. Please, don't let it be any of my siblings or friends. I repeated over and over.

I got down and ran towards the living room, were Lourdes, Jimmy and Hal were. I got next to Lourdes behind a couch.

"What are we gonna do now?" Lourdes said in a whisper.

The atmosphere was tense. We had men outside the house pointing us with guns, we only had three guns to defend ourselves, and apart from all that we had a bunch of kids and no adults with us.

"I'll try to distract them, take them out the back." Hal told us as he rubbed the nape of his neck.

Hal moved next to the principal door, and I made my way to the nearest window.

"Lourdes, they are at the main room. Make sure to let them know it's you," I sighed. "Jimmy, check outside, and make sure it is safe."

"What are you gonna do?" Jimmy asked charging his gun.

"I'll cover Hal until you come back."

Shots were heard once again, but they were coming from farther away. More and more shots, until they suddenly stop.

I lean out the window and spotted Tom walking towards us. He had his hands behind his head, and about four men were pointing their guns at him.

We are lost. For one moment I thought we would make it out alive.

"Hal, Matt come out, it's all over. Everybody come out!"

Lourdes was walking down stairs with the kids when Tom told us to go out.

Hal nodded his head at me defeated.

Hal was the first one to leave the house and I was behind him.

Clayton's man came closer and took out our weapons harshly.

"Hey! Be careful with her." Hal yelled closing his hands as hard as he could.

They point us with their guns all the way to the big house again. Lourdes had a sleeping Colton and Avery was in my arms.

"I wanna go home Emily." Her voice was fragile and tired.

"Me too."

"All right, let's get all the kids in the stable, now." Clayton commanded.

One man came from behind and grabbed Matt from Hal's arms.

I put Avery down on her feet.

"Hey! I got it, I got it." I said as I grabbed Matt by the hand and started walking next to Avery.

"No, I'm not going. Dad!" Matt screamed.

Matt let my hand go and started to run towards his father.

Tom moved, but was immediately pointed with a gun.

A single shot was heard.

Not again.

The man pointing at Tom fell to the group lifeless.

It was Weaver and the rest of the Second Mass. They were all over the house and pointed their guns to Clayton's men.

We were safe.

__________

"No!" Colton screamed.

We were once again in the high school with the rest of The Second Mass. Avery, Colton and I were getting getting ready to go to Mike's funeral.

"What's wrong, Colton? We are already late."

I ducked and faced him. His eyes were getting watery and his cheeks were red.

"He doesn't want to go to the funeral." Avery spoke.

"Why's that?"

Colton begun to cry harder and harder.

"I-I-I don't want people to go to heaven anymore."

"Mike was a good man, and it would be good to show him how much we appreciated him by going to the little ceremony." I told him.

"Maybe we could do it from here?" Colton suggested.

"Sounds good." I told them.

"Maybe we could say nice things about him." Avery said.

"Mike was very funny..." Colton said with a big smile on his face.

"He also taught me how to do cool tricks in soccer." Avery added.

"Mike was an exceptional father, and an honorable man. He gave his life because of us, to save us." I completed.

Colton closed his tiny eyes and whispered. "Thank you Mike."

"Yeah, thanks."

"Thank you Mike, for everything." I finished.

The Second Mass were paying their respects with a ceremony, and we were paying our respects too, in our own and unique way.

Make sure to vote and comment!