Chapter 48

Finally, a new chapter is here.

There he was, with his leather jacket and his honey-like eyes, standing in front of me.

I hadn't seen him for only a week, but he looked different. His black hair was longer, the bags under his eyes were more prominent, and he had a new scar on his chin. A wave of emotions came crashing, he was still the guy I loved.

Hal stood stiff, probably surprised to see me, specially with a gun on my hands. I was surprised too, there was no reason for him to be there unless something had happened back at the Second Mass. I just hoped it wasn't any of my siblings who were in trouble, it would have killed me not being there when they needed me most.

"Why are you here Hal?" Ben asked taking a step foreword. He seemed just as surprised as me of his brother's visit.

Hal's eyes were plastered on mine and it took him a second to react to his brothers question.

"I came for you," he said.

I was pretty sure he meant Ben, but he looked directly to me as he spoke.

"Well, I'm not totally sure about that." Ben chucked as he shook his head. "I'll give you guys some space to talk."

I tried to protest, but Ben gave a small nod and left us standing there in the dark.

Hal started mumbling and placing his hand on the back of his neck, just like he did when he was nervous. Coherent sentences weren't coming out of him so I decided to give it a try.

"Hey, Hal," I said trying to make things awkward.

"Hi, how have you been?" He tried to fake a smile, but he did a pretty terrible job at it.

"Good... great, everything is just great." Lies, I missed everyone back home and the thought that I had made the wrong choice by leaving was still on my mind.

"Good, that's good," He trailed off. "Your siblings are good, they ask about you a lot."

"Tell them I miss them, but that I'm fine."

There was a pause, Hal started walking towards me and I was freezing out not knowing how to act.
He was inches from me and before I knew it his hand was caressing my cheek.

Without thinking I closed me eyes, enjoying his warm touch. As I opened my eyes again, his face moved closer until our lips met. I was overwhelmed by what was heppening, but I count think straight and I kissed him back. I had missed him so much. I placed my arms around his neck, deepening the kiss. I needed his so bad. we continue kissed until it all came back to me and I backed away.

I looked away and stuttered, "I-I shouldn't have..."

"Do you miss me?" Hal blurred out of nowhere.

My hear stopped and I don't know what to say. Of course I did, there was no doubt about that. All I wanted was to  scream yes and run into his arms, but I knew better.

I sighed. "Hal..."

"I miss you, Em. A lot. Please come back," He pledged. His eyes were watery and I knew he was hurting as much as I was in the inside.

"I can't. I'm here now, I'm part of the resistance." I tried to move back.

"Your family needs you," He said louder.

"This is also my family now, I finally belong someone where I have the power to make a dfference."

"I need you," Hal said even louder, getting closer to me.

"I'm sorry, but I'm not going back." I was firm about it, I had made a choice and I had to stick with it.

"If that's how you feel, there's nothing I can do."
He turned on his heels and started walking opposite to me, until he stopped for a minute and said, "Good luck." And left.

I took a breath and sat in the ground. I couldn't believe I had just talked with Hal after a week of not seeing or hearing from him. It took all of my will power not to follow him, but I wasn't that girl anyone.

-- -- -- -- --

"BAM BAM!" Gunshots filled my ears and woke me indmediatky. It was still dark, but flashing lights disoriented me as I tried to see what was happening.

Screams and commotion filled the air, we were being attacked. All I could think of was run the opposite direction from the gunshots as fast as I could, and I did. I found a spot to hide and that was all I did, hide and wait.  I didn't dare to move a miscle.

It was still dark, but I figured enough time had passed and I needed to make sure that there weren't people needing my help. 

I slowly made my way back, there were now military vehicles and soldiers all around.

"

Emily! Thanks god," I heard Bens words and quickly his arms wrapped around me.

"You scared us, we count find you." That was Tom who spoke. He stood beside Weaver, Hal and the Coronel.

I tried not to make eye contact with my ex boyfriend, if I did I would relive our kiss from last night and I couldn't afford to be all dazed and confused.

"I-I just ran when I heard the gunshot."

"Are you hurt?" Hal asked and everyone looked at him in surprise.

"No, I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" Ben started to question.

"I said, I'm fine." I was okay, I didn't need a babysitter making sure I wasn't going to break all the time.

"As I was saying, the mission is canceled," the Coronel said on a Stern voice and left.

"We have to go on that mission," Ben spoke quickly.

He was right, if we didn't and the weapon was completed, everything would be over.

"I thought we didn't have any information on the weapon," Tom lowered his voice as he spoke.

"We couldn't trust them," I added to excuse Ben from not telling everything to his father.

"I have everything on my head, the plan, the layouts, I can get us there," Ben finished.

"We can get us there," I clarified with a little smile. Finally I was gonna prove everyone I could be useful in combat.