Chapter 9

My mind was blocked.

     What if they tell the others? How do they found out? - These questions kept forming in my head.

     Tom just laughed at the comment and both men left, leaving Colton and me alone. I was shaking and dizzy, because of the news. I remembered all that we had been through and telling someone wasn't a choice. The truth wasn't nice and no one needed to find out about it. I knew how people treat others that weren't like them.

     My sibling got out of one of the bathrooms and hugged me tightly. He didn't know the magnitude of the problem but he knew it was bad.

     "What is harnessed, Em?" He said looking straight to my eyes. His eyes were like kryptonite to me.

     I just smiled and told him not to worry about anything.

     He nodded and did his business. Then, he washed his hands and opened the door to leave with me.

     We walked straight while doing weird faces and laughing until we found superhero toy on the floor. It was Superman with his red and muddy cape. Colton smiled from ear to ear and grabbed it. He started paying with it and doing flying sounds as he sat on the grass. I sat right next to him and just observed him for a while.

     I didn't know how much we had been there, maybe ten minutes or maybe twenty five. The moment was perfect, I almost forgot the aliens and all our dead family. Almost.

     It was getting dark so we decided to get inside to our room. We got to our room and Colton lay on the first bed he saw, Ben's. As soon as he touched the sleeves he fell asleep.

     "Well, I guess he was tired," I whispered to myself as a small smile appeared on my face.

     "I bet you are too," A strange voice said behind my back.

     I turned and saw Ben standing by the door. He was smiling and had a soup and some water in his hands.

     "Hi Ben, I can move him if you want."

     "Hi, don't. I am on guard tonight." He started walking towards me "Can you do me a favor?"

     "Anything."

     "Anything?" He asked laughing making fun of my answer.

    "Just shut up and tell me what it is." My cheeks were a little pink and I tried to play the best I could.

     He chucked and talked "Can you give this to Hal? He is on guard and hasn't eaten for a while."

     I nodded in agreement.

     "Thanks. My dad asked me, but we are just not in our best moment," Ben said as he gave me the food and left me there alone.

     I followed Ben till we got to stairs that connected to the roof.

     "Can you look for Avery and take her to the room and tell her to watch Colton, please?" Avery was outside with her friends but I needed safe in the room for the night.

     He nodded and disappeared through the doors.

     I looked at my watch, eight thirty. I gave a big breath and start climbing the latter.

     I had to admit boys made me nervous. Any kind, even if they are very good people they just give me goose-bump. Even Ben made me weird. Before the invasion started I had a boyfriend but he also made me feel nervous. But Hal, he made me even timider. His chocolate eyes made me shiver and his face was always so stern and I guess beautiful.