Chapter 22

Hi guys! New chapter, I hope you enjoy it. I will be updating again this week so be active. The first three comments will get a chapter dedicated to them. Thanks for all the support!

Avery and Matt were there, each one had a rifle in their hands. Ben was behind them, giving instructions and making sure they shoot the right way.

"Hey! Ben!" Hal screamed from behind him.

The kids immediately turned around and lowered their weapons. Matt's eyes became wide open and Avery's began to crystallize, both of them stared at us in fear.

"What's Matt and Avery doing with a gun?" Hal snapped.

"Ben's teaching us how to shoot," Matt intervened with the little voice he had.

"Figure it was time, they need to know how to defend themselves," Ben's tone was careless as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"So you just gave them a rifle without asking me?" Hal continued raising his voice.

"I might have to follow your orders on missions, but not here."

"You might not have to follow his orders, but the one you're teaching how to shoot a gun, is my sister. You don't have the right to," I intervened.

Hal came forwards and took Matt's gun as he protested. I took Avery's as well and stared harshly right at Ben.

"Back to camp, now, both of you," I told them and pointed the way.

Avery's eyes became watery and tears began to rush down her face, making Matt put his arm around her.

Avery is going to get a serious punishment for going behind my back and doing stuff she isn't supposed to. Sometimes she just makes me crazy, I don't know what I'm going to do when she's a teenager

"You know, maybe Matt's ready maybe he's not, but we both know that dad didn't want that for him," Hal said while Avery and Matt disappeared the trees.

"Three months ago, how to know what he would say now?" Ben spoke.

"I don't know what he would say right now and neither do you. So, how about we wait and let dad make that decision."

"The only way we win this thing is by killing every Skitter we see. If both are old enough to load a gun, they're old enough to shoot it."

"You don't get it right? It's not you call! It's up to an adult to decide," I yelled at Ben.

I know he's tired and stressed, but he's acting like a jerk

"What about you? Are you an adult? You just wonder around messing around with my brother, you don't even what you siblings are doing. You can't decide for her."

Is he going crazy? He can't talk to me like that

I opened my mouth to reply, but Hal was faster and I was thankful for it. I knew I would started yelling at Ben uncontrollably and I would say something I would reject later.

"Don't talk to her like that,"Hal said between his teeth and moved closer to Ben. "With what happened to dad, you think you're the best one to be giving lessons?"

Ben's face soften as he looked at the floor.

"I just don't want them to be taken away the way they took me."

Hal lightly nodded, turned around and started walk towards me.

"Or your girlfriend Karen, or should I say ex-girlfriend."

Hal instantly turned around and ran towards Ben, but he took Hal by his wrists and hold him until he was on his knees.

"Ben, stop!" I screamed.

I wanted to go and help Hal, but I was scared of what Ben could do if I moved.

"I'm not the math geek you used to push around...," Ben pushed Hal and left him on the ground. "deal with it."

And with that, Ben left while our mouths open in surprise.

"It's like I don't even know him anymore."

"Hal..." I called him, but he just kept walking.

_________

It had been two days since Ben's incident and I hadn't talked to him since it. I almost went to look for him, but decided against it. He was the one teaching my sister to shoot a freaking rifle, behind my back.

At the moment, we were all sleeping in the bus. Colton, Avery, and Matt were on some gurneys, while Hal, Ben, Anne and I were on some of the seats.

My head rested on Hal's shoulder and his arm was around my back. We had been talking for hours until we feel asleep. I tried my best to keep myself woken to watch on Tom, but I fail miserably.

Open, open your eyes. Do it - My brain told me repeatedly.

I felt the urge and I did.

Tom was staring right at me. His brown eyes closed a couple of times and then he smiled. Tears began to come out of eyes and run down my cheeks as I smiled back at him.

He made it

I did my best to move from Hal without waking him and walked towards Tom.

"Hey, you're awake."

He nodded.

"I swear that if you give us a scare like that again I am going to kill you with my bare hands."

Tom chuckled and took my hand with difficulty.

"I won't," He squeezed my fingers. "My boys?"

"They're fine," A small smile formed in my face as the thought of Hal came into my mind.

"And my little boy and girl?"

"They're great. Actually, we had a sleepover here because they missed you."

Tom chuckled, "Thanks, Emily. Hal is a lucky guy."

"Wait, how-"

"I actually woke up a while ago, but I didn't want to wake anyone. The way he had his arm around you and your head in his shoulder, I just knew." He sighed with a hint of joy, "I'm glad he finally did it, he had a crush on you since the start," Tom told me and laughed slightly.

"Thanks, Tom," I said and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

He looked down the bus and saw Ben.

"Ben," His eyes lightened up as he talked, "It's okay."

Ben stood up and walked towards his father. We never did eye contact, he was concentrated on his dad and I was glad about it. I didn't want to start a discussion with Ben in front of Tom.

"I didn't mean to hurt you."

"I know, it was an accident. It doesn't matter, what matters now is that we're together."

"Dad!" Matt screamed.

Matt had woken up and ran towards his father with a huge grin on his face. Instantaneously, Colton and Avery woke up and did the same.

Then, Hal woke up and walked to Tom. They shook their hands and smiled together.

"I missed you old man."

"I missed you too, but I heard you had a great company," Tom said and winked at me.

I could feel the heat increasing all over my body as I laughed awkwardly.

"Well, yeah..." Hal returned.

He ran his hand behind his neck nervously as he looked at me with a shy smile.

I smiled back at him and looked at Tom afterwards.

"I missed all of you," Tom said.

I missed him too

If you have time, please vote and comment what you liked or even what you didn't like. I'll make sure to reply to every single comment.