Chapter 4

Edited

     Without thinking it twice, my hand stopped moving and my body separated from Ben's shirtless body. I didn't want to give the wrong impression on the first day to whoever the person was.

     I took a look at the opened door, a guy stood under its frame. He looked around my age or a little bit older, he wore a camouflage jacket over his black shirt and a gun hanged around his wide shoulder, he definitely wasn't a civilian.

     Can he be any more handsome? I bet he's taken or isn't interested in girls, why would he be? We're in the middle of a war - I discussed with myself.

     "Speaking of the king of Rome..." Ben said under his breath so only I could hear him.

      I chuckled at his comment and as a result, the unidentified boy gave Ben an interrogative look.

     "So, that's your brother?" I said not taking my eyes off the guy.

     I wouldn't have imagined they were related, they were opposites from each other; their hair, eyes, faces, expressions and the list could go on.

     "I didn't know I was famous," He chuckled, "I'm Hal," He said in a very cute, but sexy voice and always with a smirk on his face.

     "Nice to meet you, Hal." 

     He nodded and looked at his shirtless brother, "Wow, you're a quick one, bro."

     Who does he think he is? I guess a nice and handsome guy is too much to ask for - I thought.

     "Excuse me?" I stood up and took a step closer to Hal.

     "Ha! Very funny Hal, she was just looking at my spikes, not that is any of your business," Ben answered to his brother's reckless comment.

     "I'm sorry, okay? It was just a joke."

     "Actually, one of you can of you tell me where is Tom Mason's or well... your dad's office?" My tone became more serious and my polite smile had vanished. He was kind of an ass and I didn't like that at all. 

     "I'm heading there right now, do you wanna come?" Hal asked.

     "I guess," I looked at Ben gave him a sweet smile, "Bye, Ben, see you around."

     He only nodded with a serious stern and we left the room.

     We walked for a short time and walked by several people that gave Hal a small, "Hi," or "Good job out there," and he would nod or give a "thanks," back.

     "How long have you been awake," Hal told me.

     "Maybe a couple of hours," I paused for a second and processed his comment. "How do you know that I was unconscious?" 

     That was definitely creepy and there was no good answer to try to make it less weird. 

     Hal's mouth was slightly open like he was about to tell me something, but he soon closed it again. Finally he said,  "I- well- I'm friends with Anne and I heard about you and your siblings." He definitely didn't sound convinced but I let it slide for the sake of first impressions. 

     As we walked near the entrance of the high school a small crowd was formed in front a bulletin board, it was full of children's photos and beautiful messages. A little smile formed on my face as I acknowledged the lucky I was because I had both my siblings with me.

     He ran his hand over his dark brown hair and smiled, "I like your necklace."

     I took a look down at my chest, where the old military tag rested, "Thanks, it was from my gramps, he was in the army."

     "And your dad?" Hal asked.

     "No," I chuckled as I imagined my dad wearing a military uniform, "He was an architect."

     "Nice."

     "What about yours? What was he before all this?" Curiosity won me over.

     "History teacher, but now he's somehow in charge. Crazy, right?" Hal said as he smiled at me.

     I hadn't noticed how taller than me he was or the way his deep brown eyes sparkled, but I liked it.

     I guess he's not that bad - I thought.

     "Yes, anything is possible nowadays," I said looking anywhere but his eyes.

     While we walked through the cold hallways we continue to chat and from time to time his arm brushed slightly against mine, making me feel more and more nervous with his presence.

     "So, you go on missions and that kind of stuff?" I placed by blonde hair behind my ear, getting my arm away from his.

     "Yeah, I mostly go on recognition missions, but normally I'm on patrol."

     "How old are you?" I asked, if my intuition was right he was sixteen or seventeen.

     "Sixteen, you?"

     I'm so intelligent sometimes - I mentally praised myself.

     "Fifteen," I told him.

     It was crazy that not that long teenagers were playing video games with their friends at home, but it had all change, as they were sent into missions to kill and defend the people they love. We had to grow up too soon and there was no way we were going to get back to the way it used to be.

     Hal nodded smiling at the floor and after a couple of turns, he opened a door.

     Finally, I was going to talk to Tom Mason.

     It was a big room with a teacher's desk, some chairs and two people inside. A man with dark brown hair, beard and brown eyes stood beside an older man with grey hair, who wore a military uniform.

     "Hello, my name is Tom Mason," The younger one talked.

     He was clearly Hal's father, their resemblance was obvious. Their hair, eyes and even the way they talked.

     I gave him a small smile and the other one talked, "You can call me Captain Weaver".

     I nodded, "I'm Emily Herminosity, a pleasure to meet you both."

     Tom smiled at me and talked once again with a calm and father-like voice, "Sit down, we need to talk."

     "Emily, tell us everything from the beginning, when the invasion started," Captain Weaver told me.

     I nodded my head and started telling them everything that had happened to me since those horrible things invaded our home.