Chapter 39

Hi guys! I'm the worst, I know, but I still love you guyss

    Whispers and exclamations. That was what I heard as we walked through the crowd. Little kids pointed at us with their fingers, while adults gave us smiles and nods all out of respect.

    I turned towards Hal and smiled widely. "This is it, we're in Charleston."

    Hal leaned forward and kissed my forehead. "And most importantly, we're all together."

    "And they have food!" Colton exclaimed waving his arms up in the air.

    I chuckled along with Hal while he lowered Colton from his shoulders to the floor.

    A raspy voice came out of nowhere and said, "Hal Mason, heard a lot about you, boy."

    Hal immediately turned around on his feet and I followed his lead along with Colton.

    Standing there was Colonel Porter, showing a smile behind his white mustache. He was one of those people you can spot in a huge crowd, he stood tall and wore his military uniform with pride.

    Colton hugged my legs tightly as he hid behind my body.

    Hal stretched his hand out and shook Colonel Porters's hand. "Just do what I can, sir."

    "Well, you're doing a great job boy. I have been told that you're a great fighter."

    "Thank you, sir."

    I felt as Colton let my legs go and saw his little head peaking.

    "He looks like Santa!" Colton screamed unintentionally, as he pointed his finger towards Colonel Porter.

    Heat took over my face, but a couple of chuckled could be heard.

    "Excuse my manners, I'm Colonel Porter on your service," He shook Colton's hand with a grin on his face.

    "My name's Emily and this is Colton," My voice came out higher than I expected.

    "Emily's my girlfriend and this big guy is her brother," Hal gave me a quick smile and looked back at the Colonel.

    Girlfriend. Sounds good.

    "It must be hard, growing up like this. Experiencing first loves and heartbreaks, all while trying to live another day."

    We both nodded. I didn't know what to respond and I was pretty sure neither did Hal.

    Yes, it was hard. Trying to ignore all the crazy things around us, doing our best to forget that most of our loved ones are dead, avoiding dealing with the fact that if we decide someday to have a family they won't have much future to look up to and making the time we spend with each other the best, because we never know when some alien could kill either of us. Yes, it was very hard.

     "Well, nice to meet you. You must be hungry, there's the line to get the food," The Colonel pointed.

    "Thanks for having us here on Charleston, sir," I spoke up with a kind smile.

He nodded, "We're glad to have you all here."

    Colton wasted no time after that and ran in line. He stood behind an older guy and grabbed a plate. Hal and I followed his actions, while we chatted a little about the great installations we were in.

    After some soft women served us our food we spotted Anne, Tom, Avery and Matt eating on a table near us. They were eating with laughs and smiles, so we decided to join them.

    It was a great feeling knowing that even if we were in the middle of a war, we could still find happiness.

    After a few more laughs, people started gathering in a group a little farther from where we were sitting.

    "I'm going to see what all that," Hal said as he stood up from the table frowning.

    Anne and Tom gave him a quick 'okay'.

    "I'm coming too," I turned to Avery and Colton, "Stay here, it'll be just a moment."

    My siblings nodded and continued talking about God know what.

    We started walking the group of infuriated people.

    "Hey, have you noticed that all of that people is from from the Second Mass?" Hal asked.

    "That's weird, maybe a coincidence?"

    "I don't think so."

    "What's going on here?" Hal asked, surrounded by civilians.

"They want to spit us up into a dozen housing and they even have the nerve to disarm us!" A random woman expressed.

    I spotted a guy, he started walking towards me as he checked some papers that were on his hands. He wore a soldier uniform. His brown hair was grown up to the shoulder length, but what captured my attention was that he had a blank expression across his face.

    "Name?" He asked.

    "Emily Herminosity," I responded, not sure if I should have.

    "Oh, that won't be necessary. She's staying with me," Hal came behind me and took me by the waist, moving me closer to him.

    I could smell his strong scent, which made a goofy smile appear on my face.

    "You have been assigned to room 204," The guy said, ignoring Hal.

    "Didn't you hear me, dude? She's with me."

    The strange guy turned over to Hal and chuckled, mocking Hal, "We have rules here, girls with girls and boys with boys."

    Hal came forward, but I placed my hand on his chest making him calm down.

    "Hal, we'll figure his out later."

    "Two little siblings right?"

    I nodded.

    "The girl is going to room 76 and the boy to room 64."

    "No, no. It must be a mistake," I rose my voice, "I need to stay with my siblings, they need me."

    He chuckled once again, "This is not a hotel. You get assigned to a room and they're no changes allowed."

    Tom came and stood beside me with a worried expression.

    "Hey Em, what's wrong?"

    "This jerk is separating me from Avery and Colton!"

    "Shut up, you stupid girl!" The guys yelled.

    Hal grabbed him by his collar shirt, "Don't you dare talk to her like that," Hal whispered between his tears in a very harsh tone.

    "Everyone calm down," Tom moved closer to his son, trying to stop his aggressive actions.

    "I don't care about your stupid rules. I'm sharing the room with Emily and her siblings and that's final." Hal let go of the guy and turned around, but a voice stops his track.

    "Good, go and take your brat with you," The guy said under his breath, but we could all hear him.

    Out of nowhere, Hal turned and collided his fist against the guy's jaw.

    Ouch.