Chapter 7

☣Edited

    "You will sleep in our room, we have an extra bed. We will fit, I promise," Tom said with his distinct voice. It was deep but calm just like a father's voice.

     I nodded in response. I wasn't very sure it would work out, and just the thought of sleeping in the same room as Ben and Hal made my stomach tingle, but I was out of options.

     We continue talking a bit and Ben guide me to our "new" room. We entered and there were five beds in the room. Probably I would sleep on the floor so Colton and Avery could sleep together on a bed, it was the least I could do for them.

     "So, you will sleep on Hal's bed while he is in the mission," Ben told me.

     "Thanks," I said shyly.

     "Don't be shy around me. You are one of the few people to treat me like a human being, you are probably one of my only friends here." He said laughing a little and throwing himself to his bed.

     "Sure, and you are my only friend here, so we are even," I said smiling confidently.

     I looked at my watch, ten o'clock. I sat on Hal's bed and started talking with Ben.

     "What are you going to do tomorrow?" He asked me.

     "I'm definitely not a morning person, but I guess here everyone wakes early, so I'll be at the clinic with Lourdes and after I'll help taking care of the kids."

     "Lourdes and Anne are great, you're going to love it there. I was thinking that after tomorrow you could have your first shooting class," Ben told me reading his comics.

     "I don't think so..."

     "What if we are attacked? You need to be ready to defend yourself and your siblings too."

     "I'll think about it. Good night." I wasn't going to talk about it. It reminded me too much of my parents.

     I laid on the bed and closed my eyes. It smelled very good, just like- no, stop it! It doesn't smell like Hal, well, maybe a little. I closed my eyes harder and finally, I fell asleep, very deep. 

 __ __ __ __

     I woke up and anger started taking over me. It was frustrating to not be able to control it, but mornings were the worst for me. All I wanted was to sleep until eleven, but I knew that given the circumstances, that was impossible.

     I opened my eyes with curiosity as the sound of things moving around loudly.

     "Great, now I can't fall asleep again," I murmured to myself.

     "Sorry, I thought I wouldn't wake you,"A certain voice said on my back, it wasn't Ben's.

     In reaction, I stood up and turned around. It was Hal, and he was shirtless. Not a bad view at all, but an awkward one for sure.

     "Hey, d-don't worry. And sorry for using your bed," I said nervously trying not to blush.

     "Hope you found it comfortable enough. I'm the one who should be sorry for letting you alone yesterday, my dad needed..." He started but I cut him off.

     "Don't worry, your dad already talked to me about it," I told him giving him a smile.

     He chuckled and smiled at me too.

     "Did you found Colton?"

     "Not really. I got kind of lost, but I was hoping that you could take me with him today."

      "Yeah, sound good to me," Hal said as he grabbed a blue shirt and put it on.

     A sigh escaped my lips, but I immediately covered it with some fake coughs.

     I will just get ready."

     "Sure, I will stay here," He told me pointing to his bed.

     I just nodded, grabbed my cloth and walked to the bathroom. In the bathroom was a bag with my name and inside there was basic stuff to get by. It felt good that someone was pendent of me, for the past months I was the one pendant of everyone.

     I got out and looked at Hal, he was sleeping in his bed with his mouth slightly open. He was obviously exhausted but I couldn't help but laugh an I tried to wake him. He finally opened his eyes and stood up to go.

     "I am ready, Hal," I said trying my best not to laugh.

     "Yeah, sorry. I kind of fell asleep" Hal said with his raspy voice.

     "Kind of?" I said between laughs.

     He looked at me with his brown eyes and then started laughing. I liked his laugh, there were a lot of emotions mixed together.

     "You look pretty," He said staring at me. I chuckled.

     "Thanks, Hal. You look sleepy."

     We both stayed like that but then walked towards where the children were.

     "You were very close to your brother? I mean your older one," He said turning to look at me.

     I just stop walking and stood there. I didn't see that coming. We were always together. My older brother knew everything about me and protected me. He was my guide and my best friend.

     "Very much," I said closing my eyes to not cry.

     "I didn't want to turn you upset," He said stopping with me and giving me a concerned look.

     "Don't worry. It shouldn't affect me so much."

     "Yes, it should. He was your older brother and you loved him."

     I just nodded and started walking again.

     "If you need someone to talk, I am here," Hal told me and he placed his hand on my shoulder like he did the day before.

     "Thanks, you too."

     I looked everywhere and finally, my eyes landed on two kids, one boy, and one girl. They were Matt and Avery, suspicious if you ask me. "Look at Avery and Matt, so cute! Do you think they are together?" I said sweetly. They were both laughing and teasing each other.

     "Don't think so, they met a few days ago."

     "Yeah, your right." I decided not to interrupt their special moment so we looked for Colton.

     I heard a little scream of joy and turned around.

     "Colton!" I said running to hug him.