Chapter 42

Hi! I know this chapter sucks, but my grandpa died a few days ago and it has been crazy. I'm really sorry, but I hope you'll still be happy I at least updated. Thanks for all the love guys <3

     I wiped my eye and adjusted my visions in the hopes of being able to see again. My blue eyes were drowning in the tears I had kept inside for so long.

     It felt like a bucket full of ice cold water had been thrown over my shoulders. How could he be standing right in from of me? It was nearly impossible, but still, there he was.

     My eyes traced his tall figure, he was much muscular that I had remembered.

     A single tear slid down his cheek as he took a step towards me.

     The closer he came, the faster my heart beats inside my chest. I scanned the little details of his face, those I had fought so hard not to forget. From his little mole on his left upper lip to his birthmark down his collarbone. They were stupid insignificant things, but I held on to them to make it through the day.

     Derek was just a couple of steps from me and I couldn't move, not an inch. Every breath required me to use all my strength and with every second that passed by, my urge to throw up all over the place was growing strong.

     Each one of his steps was faster than the other until finally, he took me in his arms. Immediately, my whole body relaxed and my arms curled around his large torso. I nuzzle my face in his neck, something I used to do every time he comforted me after a tough day. Derek's firm hands stroke my hair, while I sobbed uncontrollably against his navy blue shirt.

    "Em, it's okay, we're together now. Please don't cry, you know that I hate seeing you cry." He tried to get out of our embrace, but I soon pulled him closer.

     I didn't want to let go, I couldn't let go. I had missed him so much, words could describe how I felt.

     "Em? Are you okay?" Another voice talked from behind me, but I simply ignored it.

     After a few more seconds, I broke off the hug, not before receiving a kiss on my forehead from my older sibling.

     "You're not d-dead. H-How? I-" I tried to talk, but I was just mumbling nonsenses.

     Derek analyzed me for a while with his green, before he smiled. "I've missed you," He said, "Where's mom and dad?"

     Before I could answer, a warm hand was placed on my shoulder, making me turn around. Hal didn't even look at me, he was staring sternly at Derek.

     "H-Hal, this is Derek, my brother," I presented Derek.

     They both shook hands firmly and Hal spoke up, "Hi, name's Hal, Emily's- "

     "He's a f-friend. He and his family have taken great care of us," I cut him off.

     I ignored Hal and focused on my brother, who simply nodded and said quietly, "thanks." I could feel Hal's cold stare on me and I knew he wouldn't be happy with me, but it was best for him if I didn't tell my brother about us. Derek had a bad temper around guys who got too close to me.

     "Em!" A squeaky voice screamed.

I looked past Derek and found Colton running towards us. I caught him in a hug, which Derek joined.

     "We have been looking all over for you, Colton," I told him.

     "Sorry, I found him playing around and couldn't help it to take him for a walk," my older brother said with a smile as he ruffled Colton's blonde hair.

     I nodded and smiled.

     "We need to talk, you know to catch up," Derek told me.

     "Yeah, we should probably head to the cafeteria and talk there," I suggested.

     "Sure, sounds good."

     "Um, Hal, do you mind looking for Avery and telling her to meet me at the cafeteria?" I asked awkwardly.

     "Not at all, friend," Hal said emphasized the word friend and left.

___________

     "That time I went out to get supplies, I got spotted by two mechs. I just ran, that seemed like the only thing to do. I tried to go back home, but in my way back I was intersected by an armed group," Derek explained, "they were desperate to get some food and questioned me to tell them if I had a group, but I told them I was alone. They took me with them, I tried to escape several times, but I failed to do so. Finally, one night I managed to get out and went to look for you, but there was no one home. I wandered around until I found this group and I have been here ever since."

     In the middle of the story he had taken my hand, as well as Avery's. Colton was on his lap and placed his hands all over Derek's face.

     I took a deep breath and told him everything we had been through, my spikes, our parents, and the Second Mass. It was quite a lot to process, but we decided to call it a night and we could talk tomorrow some more.

___________

    The feeling of someone watching me came across me once again but decided to brush it off. I was in the mood to fight, I was too happy.

     My feed continued moving through the halls until I reached my respective door. I turned around, only to find Hal staring me down. His arms were crossed and frustrating was written all over his place.

     "What?" I asked him.

     Dead silence was the only thing I heard for a while till he spoke up, "We need to talk Emily."