Chapter 42

As much as I wanted to kill her that day, I couldn't. It wouldn't be fair to Harry and everyone else that actually cared for me.

I spent days in my room wondering if I could've done more. Was I too slow? Maybe I could've stopped it warned him so he could step out of the way.

The days were long and getting longer, I couldn't bare staying with the Dursley's and I'm very sure Harry couldn't stand them either.

I opened a letter one day a black owl gave me. He was tapping on my window. It was from Severus. I was to stay with Severus till the school year started on Dumbledore's orders.

Dumbledore came by the house and picked me up and said something that he was coming back for Harry. He didn't tell me why.

'Professor, are you alright? Your hand', I asked worryingly.

'Yes, fine fine. A story for another time'. I looked at him but decided not to press him further. 'Sir, why is it that I have to spend my time with Sev- I mean Professor Snape'?

'In case the dark lord calls for you once again and you may call him Severus in front of me if you wish'.

'Sir, I would just like to say, if there's anything you want me to do for the order, I will do it'. He smiled.

'I can't do that'. I looked at him.

'Why not? Listen, I don't care if I'm not old enough, you can't keep putting everything on Severus. Please that, please this. Hasn't anyone even told him a thank you'?

'It's a dangerous thing'.

'I understand that, Professor but- I'm here now. I'm asking you now just please take it easy on Severus. He has a heart too. It's broken but it can be fixed'.

'I always loved the way you think'. He held out his arm. 'Hold tight'.

I took his arm without hesitation and I felt my stomach turn and twist.

'I'll see you when school starts up'. I nodded.

I set up my stuff in my room and wrote a letter to Remus. I'm sure Dumbledore told him but I wanted to make sure. I grabbed a book off the shelve and laid on the bed. There was a knock on the door.

'Since when do you knock'? The door opened.

'Since you started living here time to time'.

'There's something wrong with Dumbledore. He wouldn't tell me so I'm determined to find out myself'.

I looked up and patted a place beside me. He walked over and sat down but at the end of the bed.

'His hand was black. Like it was decayed, a curse of some sort. Dark magic'. I flipped the pages.

'You shouldn't be filling your head with these things'.

'The resurrection stone'. I turned the book around and showed it to him. 'What is it? Does it bring people back to life'?

'No'. He grabbed the book and closed it.

'Well tell me. It's the resurrection stone. Should it bring something back from the dead'.

'It only brings spirits. The ones you love'. My eyes widened.

'Where can I get one'?

'There's only one to ever known to exist and no one knows where it is'. He got up and put the book back.

'Look, I don't need you going around and telling me watch to do'.

'It's for your protection. You think I wanted you to become a death eater'?

'I didn't ask to become one but now I have my own responsibilities'.

'And what's that'? He looked at me, crossed arms.

'Family, loved ones. To protect them. I still have Harry and Remus... and you. I'm not letting any of you die or what's the point of living'.

'Everything. I wouldn't want you to worry about all this'.

'I know you're trying to protect me and I appreciate that but it's my turn, Severus. For as long as I live'.