Chapter 34 The Big Day

Now that Dis had arrived, it was time to plan a Royal Wedding. Dis was so excited about helping Kagome plan her wedding. This took over the catering for the reception and the decorations. She took Kagome to the best dressmaker in Erebor to get started on her wedding dress. The dressmaker thought that a dress in royal blue would be perfect, but Kagome insisted that her dress be white. Dis and the Taylor looked at Kagome strangely.

Kagome explained, “Where I come from, wedding dresses are white, a sign of purity. Though I do not object to the dress having royal blue trim.”

Dis looked at Kagome, intrigued, “Tell me more of your customs, Kagome. Perhaps we can include them in the ceremony.”

Kagome beamed at Dis and began to explain. Kagome decided to use the Western tradition as her traditions were too complex. She explained about exchanging wedding rings and several other practices.

Dis thought exchanging rings was an excellent idea, as long as Thorin was able to give her a marriage braid. Kagome agreed she would not insult the Dwarf of Erebor but not follow their customs. So, Kagome drew what type of wedding dress she wanted, and the dressmaker thought it was lovely. She immediately got to work, taking Kagome's measurements, and they picked out the material they would use.

Dis warned Kagome that the dress would have to have jewels in it. That would show the people how much Thorin valued her. Kagome thought that was strange but agreed. Kagome also told Dis she wanted the bride's maids and explained what that was. She asked Dis to be her matron of honor. Dis teared up and accepted.

Once the details of Kagome's dress were figured out, Dis informed Thorin about the wedding rings. He thought it was a grand idea and went to work making Kagome's wedding ring, and Kagome commissioned a band for Thorin from the best jeweler in Erebor.

Thorin had also decided that he and Kagome would be coronated on the same day as their wedding. So he decided to have Kagome's crown made simultaneously with her rings.

It took six months to complete the wedding preparations. Invitations went out to all the kingdoms, From The Iron Hills to Rivendell. Kagome even insisted that King Legolas be invited, and Thorin grudgingly agreed, knowing that Kagome was right about having a good relationship with the Woodland Elves. Thranduil, of course, would not be attending. He stepped down from the throne and lived a quiet, peaceful life.

On the day of the wedding, Kagome was a nervous wreck. She asked Dwalin to walk her down the aisle, but the Dwarf had not given her an answer. Kagome was worried that Dwalin would deny her request. Sitting in the chair in front of her vanity, she watched Rin fix her hair. They had decided to style Kagome's hair in their Japanese tradition. Dis and Tauriel stood back and watched Rin style Kagome's hair.

Dis smiled when Rin finished, “You look lovely, Sister,” Dis gushed.

Kagome flushed and thanked Dis. Now that Kagome's hair and makeup were finished, it was time to put on the wedding dress. Dis, Rin, and Tauriel helped Kagome into her dress. When Kagome turned around to see herself, she gasped. Never had Kagome thought she would look this wonderful for her wedding day. Tears welled in her eyes, but she quickly wiped them away.

Now that Kagome was ready, it was only a matter of waiting for Dwalin to escort her into the Great Hall. There was a knock at the door, and Fili and Kili came in. Kagome looked at her new nephews, worried, when she saw that Fili had a grim expression on his face. Kagome turned to face Fili.

“What happened? Is something wrong?”

Fili sighed dramatically, “Dwalin will not walk you down the aisle; Thorin asked him to be his best man.”

Kagome started to panic, “Then who will?”

“Don't worry, Kagome, we found a substitute,” Kili consoled.

“Who?”

At that moment, the door opened, and Bilbo walked in, “Will I do?” Bilbo asked.

Kagome beamed at her best friend and rushed towards the Hobbit, bringing him into a tight hug.

“Bilbo! When did you get here?”

Bilbo chuckled, “A few days ago with Gandalf. You were so busy with the wedding preparations that it was easy to keep out of sight.”

Kagome hugged her Hobbit friend again, “I'm so happy you're here.”

“As am I, my dear friend. Now enough of that; let's get you married.”

Kagome took a shuttering breath and nodded. Bilbo offered her his arm, and the two friends left Kagome's bed chambers and walked towards the Great Hall. They arrived at the doors and paused. Bilbo looked up at his friend, “Are you ready?”

Kagome looked down at Bilbo and nodded, “Yes.” The guards opened the door,d Kagome and Bilbo entered. All eyes turned to face the bride, Kagome took a deep breath, and the duo made their way down the aisle.

Thorin had his back to the door and his eyes closed. He was trying to control his nerves. Thorin heard when the door opened but didn't turn until everyone gasped. Thorin turned around, his eyes widened, and his mouth fell open. Kagome was a vision of loveliness. Thorin's heart swelled with love and pride for his One. He smiled brightly at her, and she returned the gesture.

Thorin's eyes filled with tears of joy as Kagome and Bilbo approached the alter

Thorin's eyes filled with tears of joy as Kagome and Bilbo approached the alter. When they reached Thorin, he took Kagome's hand and bowed to Bilbo, who returned the gesture. The couple turned and faced Balin, and the ceremony began.

Neither Thorin nor Kagome remembered what was said; they were too lost in each other's eyes. The only thing that Thorin indeed remembered was being permitted to kiss his bride. After that, the entire Hall was filled with cheers. The couple turned and faced their audience and waited for the cheers to die down. While that happened, Gandalf stepped forward to crown the new King and Queen of Erebor. Thorin and Kagome vowed as King and Queen to protect their kingdom. Once they had finished, Gandalf placed their crowns on their heads.

“Now come the days of the King and Queen of Erebor, and may they be blessed while the thrones of the Valar endure!'”

The Dwarves and the other guests shouted; Kagome and Thorin again faced their audience, this time as the newly crowned King and Queen of Erebor. After that, the celebrations began that lasted three days. However, Thorin and Kagome were allowed to leave to start their honeymoon.