Chapter 18 A Visit With Beorn

Running they were always running! First, they were running from Wargs through the plains, Goblins in Goblin Town, then Azog and the Warg riders and now they were running from an enormous bear that was hell-bent on tearing them apart. Kagome had had enough of running, she readied her bow to shoot the bear when Dwalin ran by and grabbed her.

"No, one arrow will not stop that monster, it will only enrage it more, keep running!" Kagome seeing the wisdom in this kept running.

They ran through a field of flowers, it would have been a beautiful sight to behold if, of course, they weren't running for their lives. Kagome had thought that maybe they were in the clear and was about to slow down when the enormous bear broke through the tree line.

"Crap!" She screamed and ran faster. She easily overtook the others and caught up with Gandalf who, for an old man, was far out in front of the others.

"What are we going to do, Gandalf? We can't keep running forever." Kagome asked as she held her side.

"There is a house up ahead, if we can make it there we'll be safe."

The closer they came to the house, the closer the bear came to them. Until finally, they made it, Thorin quickly opened the door after some struggling. Everyone rushed in just as the bear slammed against the door. They struggled to get the door closed, though finally, they were able to get it closed. Questions were raised as to what that beast was, Gandalf informed them that it was their host Beorn, the skin changer.

"Alright now, get some sleep all of you. You'll be safe here tonight…I hope. The only person who caught that last line was Kagome, she stares at the wizard. He looked at her and waved her off.

The Company began to settle themselves down for the night, finding the most comfortable spot in the hay they could find. Thorin set up his sleep roll and Kagome's sleeping bag further away from the others. He sat down on his bedroll and leaned against the wall waiting for Kagome. Once she arrived he opened his arms to her and she gladly snuggled into him. He kissed the top of her head.

"Are you sure you are all right, Amrâlimê?" Kagome looked up and kissed his chin.

"I'm fine sweetheart, just a bit tired and my feet ache." She said as she took her shoes off. Thorin shifted his position, then took her petite foot and began to massage her foot and ankles. Kagome sighed as the ache slowly left her foot. He then switched to the other foot. By the time he was finished, Kagome had fallen asleep. He smiled down at her then moved back beside her, pulling her into his arms, settled himself down to go to sleep. Kissing the top of her head, he whispered,

"I love you." She mumbled something he couldn't understand then she sighed and whispered.

"Love you too." His heart swelled with the joy he felt at hearing this. He embraced her tighter, closed his eyes and fell asleep.

The next morning Gandalf informed them that they would be meeting Beorn and that they should come out in pairs. And that's exactly what they did except in a rushed manner not giving the skin-changer a chance to get used to the Dwarves. Thorin and Kagome were the last ones to come out of the house, their fingers laced together. Beorn was about to protest when he noticed Kagome, He began walking towards her, completely ignoring Gandalf as he tried to get the man's attention. Thorin stepped up and pushed Kagome behind him, he was unarmed but he would fight the big man barehanded to protect his One. Beorn stopped right in front of Thorin.

"You, female, what business do you have with Dwarves?" Spits out the word Dwarves as if it was a curse word. A very angry Kagome steps out from behind Thorin.

"Kagome?" He questions, she lays a hand on his arm to calm him. She marches up and pokes the large man in the chest, well more like the stomach.

"Listen you, my name is not 'female' it's Kagome, Ka-go-me. And my business with the Dwarves is my own and none of your business!" Gandalf covers his face in exasperation as he listens to Kagome lecture the skin-changer. Beorn stares down at Kagome and to Gandalf's great surprise, he begins to laugh.

"Alright, my apologies, Kagome. Come let us go inside and have breakfast." He then pats Kagome on the head and walks inside still chuckling. Kagome does an about face and follows Beorn inside. The rest of the Dwarves fall in line behind her.

"She's something else," Dwalin says as he passes Thorin. He says nothing until Dwalin passes him then he smirks, proud of his bride to be.

While inside Beorn begins to serve everyone milk, bread, and honey, much to Bilbo's delight. He begins to happily eat his honey cover bread while Beorn addresses Thorin.

"So you are the one they call Oakenshield. Tell me, why is Azog the Defiler hunting you"

"You know of Azog, how?" Thorin asked

Beorn then began to explain that Azog killed his people or would make slaves out of them for sport. Kagome listened intently, when Beorn was finished with his tale, she places a hand on his arm to comfort him.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Beorn." She tells him. He pats her hand.

"Thank you, but it was a long time ago." He smiled at her.

"At any rate, you need to reach the mountain before the last day of Autumn."

"Before Durin's Day falls, yes." Gandalf states

"You are running out of time."

"This is why we must go through Mirkwood," Gandalf tells the big man.

"A darkness lies upon that forest, Fell things creep beneath those trees. I wouldn't venture there unless in great need. Especially if you do not want to risk Kagome's life." Beorn tells them as he strokes her hair. She pauses in eating her bread and looks up at Beorn with a smile. Thorin's eyes narrow, pushing away from the wall he was leaning against he goes and stands behind Kagome. He glares at Beorn though he completely ignores him. Gandalf clears his throat to get their attention.

"We will take the Elven Road, that path is still safe."

"Safe? The Wood Elves of Mirkwood are not like their kin. They are less wise and more dangerous, but it matters not."

"What do you mean?" Thorin asks

"These lands are crawling with Orcs and their numbers are growing, and you are on foot. You will never reach the forest alive." Beorn states as his eyes flick over to Kagome.

"I don't like Dwarves, They're greedy and blind. Blind to the lives of those they deem lesser than their own, but Orcs I hate more and for the sake of Kagome I will help you. What do you need?"

"We need food, supplies, and ponies," Gandalf informs him.

"Alright, you shall have it." Beorn promises

Once they have all of their food and supplies ready, each Dwarf mounts a pony and are ready to head out. All they're waiting on is Kagome. She walks up to the Skin-Changer and bows.

"Thank you for your hospitality, it truly means a lot to me and the Dwarves, though they may not say it. I hope that we will see each other again someday." She turns to leave when Beorn grabs her arm.

"You don't have to go with them, you know. This is not your quest, you could stay here. I will keep you safe." Kagome turns and looks at the Company, more specifically Thorin, who hasn't taken his eyes off her.

"Thank you for the offer, but their quest is my quest. And Thorin's fate is mine as well, he is my life now." Beorn smiles down at her then strokes her face with his finger, Thorin nearly rushed over, but Bofur and Dwalin held him there.

"Alright, if you are sure. Then go while you still have the light." Kagome bows again then sprint toward Thorin, he smiles at her and embraces her. They mount the ponies and head out.

As they head toward Mirkwood forest, they notice they are being followed by a giant black bear, Beorn. Once they reach the edge of the forest, they set the ponies free, but as they are removing the supplies Gandalf tells them not to. He needs to leave them there.

"And I think you should go with me, Kagome," Gandalf whispers to Kagome. She shakes her head.

"My place is here, Gandalf. I think I maybe need here more." Gandalf looks at her then at the forest and agrees.

"I think you may be right. Alright, I shall take my leave. Keep them together and keep them safe, Kagome. She nods

"Safe travels, Gandalf." She bows to him then he rides away.