Chapter 22 Lake-Town.

After much discussion, Balin and the Bargeman finally  come to an agreement. Kagome, Bilbo and the Dwarves load onto the barge. As Kagome makes her way on, the Bargman, known as Bard, smiles at her and offers his hand to assist her. She glares at him and slaps his hand out of the way. Thorin, being the last to get on, smirks at Bard. He makes his way over to Kagome, she turns an wraps her arms around him, placing her head on his shoulder, she sighs and closes her eyes.

"Are you alright Amrâlimê?" Thorin asks as he rubs her back.

"Just tired, that's all," Kagome answers, "I used a lot of spiritual power infusing my arrows, but a little nap with help."

Thorin takes her hand, leading her to the other side of the boat, he sits down and pulls her into his lap. He wraps his arms around her and begins to rock, humming a Dwarvish Lullabye. Quickly Kagome falls asleep.

Kagome slept for what felt like a minute she was awoken by the sounds of Bilbo and the Dwarve scrambling to get back inside the barrels. She asked Thorin what was going on as he gently coaxed her off his lap.

"The bargeman says we need to hide, there are guards up ahead, but you, my sweetling, can stay out of the barrels since you are human. They will not think twice about seeing you with the bargeman."

Kagome looks at Bard and her nose wrinkles, "I'd rather be in the barrel with you."

Thorin smiles and kisses her gently. "As would I, but there will not be enough room, try to tolerate him if only for a little while, My Love."

Kagome nods, "Alright if only for you."

With that Thorin jumps into the barrel. Kagome narrows her eyes, she walks over to where Bard is and stands next to him. Crossing her arms she turns her nose up and huffs. Bard can only chuckle.

"Why is it, My Lady, that you do not like me?" Bard asks with a smirk on his face.

Kagome whirls around to face him, she walks straight up to him and pokes him in the chest.

"I don't like you, Bard the Bargeman, because you were going to shoot an unarmed Dwarf in the back had Dwalin not gotten in the way.

Bard put his hands up in surrender and backed away, "I was not going to shoot the Dwarf in the back, I only shot when the big one threatened me."

"With a stick." Kagome deadpanned

"No with a big branch." Bard countered.

"And you shot at another Dwarf for merely picking up a rock, had I not intercepted it you would have hit him in the hand."

"He was going to throw it at me!"

"And you couldn't dodge it?" Kagome asked.

"Look I take that very personally," She jabbed Bard in the chest with every word, "Nobody threatens my Dwarves, got it?"

All Bard can do is nod his head and apologize, she was scary when she was angry. And just like that her anger passed.

"Good, so, Bard, my name is Kagome, tell me a little about yourself."

Bard's brow furrowed, was there something wrong with her? How could she go from angry to completely happy in the blink of an eye? But he wasn't stupid enough to ask.

"Um, well I was married, but my wife passed away some time ago. I have three children two girls and a boy."

Kagome squealed, "How old are they?"

"Sigrid is 15, Bain is 14 and Tilda is 11."

"That is so cute." Kagomme cooed.

They stood in silence for a while then Bard pulled up to a fisherman, he walked to the bow of the boat to talked to him. After a while and some sort of agreement the fisherman began to add fish to each barrel. As Kagome watched, she couldn't help but imagine the disgusted look on the Dwarves face especially Thorin and Dwalin. She burst out in a fit of laughter, Bard and the fisherman looked at her oddly.

When they finally arrived at Lake-Town, Bard got into an arguement with the town ferret named Alfrid. He claimed since Bard didn't have a fisherman's permit, he couldn't bring in the fish. This pissed Kagome off to no end.

"Look here, Ferret Face, you are actually going to dump perfectly good fish into the lake just because Bard doesn't have the right papers, how stupid are you? Look around you, it's obvious that this town is not do very well and you would deny them food! How do you think the people will react when they find out you're squandering food?" Kagome said slowly getting closer and closer to Alfrid, her eyes burning with anger.

Alfrid began to cower, but noticed his men staring at him. He built up what little courage he had in him and stood tall.

"And who do you think you are to be talking to me like that?" Alfrid said in an arrogant tone.

Kagome's eyebrow started to tick, "I'm the person that's going to kick your ass if you don't let us through!"

Bard could only cover his eyes, they were going to get arrested for sure. But to his amazement Alfrid just gulped and let them passed. As they sailed by the guard could only stare at Kagome they were both awed and frighten of her. Bard stared at her, Kagome only shrugged.

"I always get my way."

When they got to the port, Bard and Kagome knocked over the barrel of fish, letting the Dwarves out. The last two barrels they knocked over were Thorin's and Dwalin's, when Dwalin stood up he put his hand on Kagome's shoulder.

"You are scary good."

Kagome smiled brightly, "Why thank you, Dwalin." Dwalin chuckled and walked away.

"You were brilliant, Amrâlimê." Thorin said as he moved to hug her, she backed away.

"Nuh uh, not without a bath first." Kagome said and kissed his nose.

"Mmm, sushi."