Chapter 31 Rebuilding Erebor

The day after Sesshomaru and Inuyasha took their leave, the Dwarves had a victory celebration in their honor even though they did not stay to enjoy it. Kagome and Rin informed the Dwarves that such parties were not something that Sesshomaru was fond of, but he would have appreciated the gesture. And so the Dwarves and the people of Dale celebrated well into the night and the following day.

When things finally got back to normal, the real work started. The first thing that the Dwarves did was build pyres of wood to burn the bodies of the orcs. While they did that, Kagome and Rin went down to Dale to help with the sick and the wounded. Once that was completed, the Dwarves turned their attention to the rebuilding of Erebor, they started first with the gate and worked their way inside from there.

While this was going on, Balin made sure to send Ravens to Ered Luin to let Dis know that those who want to return to Erebor were more than welcomed to do so. He also sent letters to the Grey Mountains and back to the Iron Hills, where some of the Dwarves of Erebor had gone. It didn't take long for Balin to get a response from Dis letting him know that most of the Dwarves from Ered Luin would be returning.

The Dwarves from the Iron Hills arrived first with provisions and were eager to get to work to restore their kingdom. They worked tirelessly to repair the damage that Smaug had done to their home. And as they worked, the newly arrived Dwarves from the Iron Hills heard the tale of their new Queen to be, how she had outstanding healing power, and had saved their king from the Dragon Sickness. They learned that she was kind and caring, that she was brave and selfless, and loved their king unconditionally.

The more stories the Dwarves heard, the more they appreciated their King's One. Usually, Dwarves were a suspicious race, but after hearing all of her deeds and that of her friends, they came to trust Kagome. And the same could be said for her friend Rin who was being courted by Prince Fili. They were having a little trouble with A-Un, he was a dragon, after all. But the more they got to know him, the more they realized he was incredibly docile and loyal to Kagome and Rin. So it didn't take long for the Dwarves to get used to seeing their prince walking around with Rin and A-Un following behind them.

Eventually, the winter months set in, in earnest, and reconstruction in Dale had to stop. Thorin offered shelter to the people of Dale in exchange for whatever help they were willing to provide in the restoration of Erebor, and in the spring, Thorin would send help to Dale. Kagome and Kili had negotiated with king Legolas of the Woodland realm for provisions for the winter in exchange for Kagome's assistance in clearing out the evil that was poisoning their forest the following Spring.

And so it went for the winter. The people of Dale were a great help in restoring parts of Erebor if they couldn't help with the restoration. The women did help in feeding everyone in the mountain. But that wasn't the only thing that was going on, Thorin and Kagome were also planning their wedding and coronation. Thorin and Kagome decided that they didn't want to get married until Dis arrived, and Thorin refused to be coronated without Kagome.

So, while they waited, Kagome and Rin were both fitted for new clothes, and Kagome was also fitted for her wedding gown. The seamstress was going to take her time to do Kagome's wedding dress so that it would come out perfect. She also asked Thorin if Bilbo could be the one to walk her down the aisle.

“Of course, without him, you and I would never have met. I will send a raven immediately and have Dis escort him here.”

“Thank you, Thorin,” Kagome told her fiancee.

And while that was going on, Thorin asked if Kagome could start learning her duties as Queen. “Of course, my love, it's better that I get started now so that I'm prepared,” Kagome told him, “I'd also like to learn your history and Khzudul if I could.”

“You may learn anything you want, Amrâlimê. The more you learn, the easier it will be for you to rule alongside me,” Thorin explained and kissed his bride to be.

With that settled, Kagome threw herself into studying the history of her new people. Thorin made sure that Balin taught Kagome everything that she needed to know about Dwarven culture and about being royalty, They also decided that Rin should sit in on these lessons as well, so that she too learned about the people she may one day rule if Kagome and Thorin did not produce an heir.

While all of this was going on, Kili and Tauriel were also growing closer. They were now courting as well, much to Thorin's dismay, but he could not deny his nephew the right to be with his One, even if she was an elf. To prove that she was serious about Kili and being part of Erebor, Tauriel renounced her loyalty to King Thranduil and swore allegiance to Thorin, that action appeased Thorin a great deal.

As Winter turned to Spring, ravens began to leave Erebor to announce the wedding of King Thorin to Kagome Higurashi and the coronation of the two monarchs after that. The announcements were sent to every corner of Middle Earth. Thorin did not expect everyone to show up, but it was common courtesy. He was positive that at the very least, the Elves of Rivendell would come, and the captain of the rangers would show up that Kagome insisted on inviting and, of course, Gandalf and King Legolas.

It turned out that many of the kingdoms of Middle Earth had accepted the invitation. The news of the exploits of the Company of Thorin Oakenshield and the Priestess Kagome Higurashi had spread far and wide, and many wanted to meet them. So, either the rulers themselves or a representative were coming to the wedding.

By early Summer, the Dwarves of Ered Luin were spotted approaching Erebor, and soon the real work on Erebor would begin along with the planning of Kagome and Thorin's wedding and coronation. But first, there was an important meeting that had to take place. Kagome, Rin, and Tauriel had to meet the formidable Dwarrowdam, the Princess Dis.