Chapter 27 The Aftermath

INUYASHA AND THE HOBBIT BELONG TO THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS, I'M JUST BORROWING THEM.

Kagome enters Thorin's chambers where she sees Thorin lying in bed sleeping. She rushes to his side and grasps his hand. Upon feeling her touch Thorin wakes up. His blue eyes focus on her and he let out a sigh of relief.

"Amrâlimê, you are safe," Thorin says with a weak smile.

Kagome gives him a sweet smile and runs her fingers through his hair. "Yes, my love, I'm fine and the spirit of Smaug has been defeated, you're free."

With that being said a sadness enters Thorin's eyes. "I am sorry, Kagome, I was not strong enough to fight off the Dragon Sickness."

Kagome shook her head. "You have nothing to apologize for, Thorin. You were possessed by that dragon, you couldn't possibly have fought against that without help."

"What do you mean?" Thorin asks.

"Bard destroyed his body but his spirit came back and latched onto your soul like a parasite. He was trying to take over your body." Kagome tells him.

Thorin stared at her wide-eyed, he had no idea such things were possible. He sighed and sagged down more into the bed. Thorin was tired, both physically and emotionally, all he wanted to do was rest. Taking Kagome's hand he pulled her closer.

"Thank you for saving me, Âzyungal."

"There is no need to thank me, Thorin, I love you."

"And I love you. May I ask something of you?"

"Of course."

"Will you lie with me while I sleep? I wish to have you near after this horrific time apart."

Kagome smiles at Thorin, she takes off her boots and lies down with him. Grabbing her by the waist he snuggles into her back and falls asleep.

A few hours later Balin knocks on the door, rousing Thorin from his sleep. Thorin looks over at Kagome who is still asleep with her back facing him, he quietly calls for whoever is at the door to come in.

"I'm sorry to disturb you, Thorin, but we may have a problem."

Thorin gets off the bed and motions for Balin to follow him into the study.

And what might that be, Balin?" Thorin asks.

Bard of Lake - Town and King Thranduil have arrived at the gate. Bard is requesting to speak with you and Thranduil is demanding that you give up the White gems of Lasgalen or he will bring war upon us."

At this point Kagome comes in, "Huh, let him try, I'll turn him and his entire army to ash with Inuyasha's help."

Thorin walks over to Kagome and gives her a kiss on the forehead, "We did not mean to disturb you, Sweetling, go back to bed and rest."

"I'm fine, Thorin, I've had enough rest, what we need to do is figure out what we're going to do about that stupid Elf King."

"Nothing, my grandfather promised him those gems and I am going to deliver them to him," Thorin tells Kagome.

"But why, when your people were in need, he didn't lift a finger to help you," Kagome asks.

Thorin sighs and takes her hands in his, "After this experience with the dragon I have learned that I no longer wish to hold on to grudges, they only poison the soul. I think that may have been the reason Smaug was able to latch onto my soul so easily, Amrâlimê, my soul was poisoned and rotting."

Kagome couldn't argue with Thorin about that, it seems logical. A stronger soul could have resisted better.

"I wish to let the past stay in the past, give what is owed and be done with it. So I may start a new life, a new life with you by my side as queen. So we shall pay the Bowman the gold we owe Esgorath and give the Elf his gems. But first I would like to meet this friend of yours, My Love, what was his name again? Inuyasha? I would like to give him my thanks for aiding you when I could not."