Chapter 28 An Old Ally

When the meal was over, Thorin, Kagome, Inuyasha, and the Company make their way up to the ramparts to see what was going on. What they see surprises them, outside the wall is an entire encampment of Mirkwood Elves. Inuyasha looks them over then turns to Kagome

"Who are these clowns?"

"Those are the Elves of Mirkwood, enemies of the Dwarves."

Kagome then goes on to explain what happened between the Elves and the Dwarves when Smaug attacked, how they abandoned the Dwarves to their fate. By the time Kagome was finished Inuyasha was growling.

"Cowards."

"And now it would seem that they have come for the White Gems of Lasgalen or war," Balin tells him.

Inuyasha cracks his knuckles, "Hn, let them try, I'll destroy them all."

Thorin had no doubt that Inuyasha could do it, after the stories that Kagome had told them about him and that sword of his, he was certain of it. He placed a hand on Inuyasha's shoulder.

"Now is not the time for violence, Inuyasha, I need to fulfill the promise I made to the people of Lake-Town and return to Thranduil what my grandfather had stolen."

"Why should you, after everything those bastards did to you?" Inuyasha asked.

"Because it is the honorable thing to do, and I want this over. I do not that taint on my soul."

Thorin sent Gloin and Balin down to the treasury to get the gold for the people of Lake-Town and the white gems of Lasgalen. They lowered the chests of gold first then, the chest filled with the gems. Thorin walks up the ramparts and looks over the edge.

"My debt to Lake-Town is paid, as is the debt my grandfather owned the Elves of Mirkwood. Go in peace."

At that moment, Gandalf shows up, informing them that there is an army of orcs heading for the mountain. That they need to band together in order to beat this enemy.

Thranduil scoffs. "Let the Dwarves fight their own battles. It is not the concern of Elves."

"You fool, if Erebor falls then Mirkwood is next. The army of the enemy will march all over Middle Earth," Gandalf tells Thranduil, "We must stand together and fight."

Just as Thranduil is about to make is a decision, the hear a horn blow and the marching feet of soldiers. Thranduil, Thorin, and Gandalf look up and see the Army of the Iron Hills appear on the hill.

"Who is that?" Inuyasha and Kagome ask at the same time.

"My cousin, Dain Ironfoot."

"Why are they here," Kagome asked.

"Because I sent for them, the minute Smaug was killed. Before he possessed me."

"Thorin we-"

But Kagome is cut off by the sound of Dain speaking.

"Good Morning, How are we all?" Dain greets cordially as he approaches the opposing army, "I have a wee proposition if you wouldn't mind giving me a few moments of your time. Would consider... JUST SODDING OFF?! All of you! right now!"

"Come now, Lord Dain."

"Gandalf the Grey. Tell this rabble to leave, or I'll water the ground with their blood."

"There is no need for war between Dwarves, Men, and Elves. A legion of Orcs march on the Mountain. Stand your army down."

"I will not stand down before any Elf. Not least this faithless woodland sprite. He wishes nothing but ill upon my people. If he chooses to stand between me and my kin, I'll split his pretty head open! See if he's still smirking then."