Chapter 9 Chapter Shikigamis and An Exam

They had finally left the Shire, now Kagome was on full alert. She was no longer the playful person they had gotten to know these past few days. She was now a seasoned warrior on the lookout for any sign of danger. The change in attitude was noticed by everyone including Thorin much to his annoyance. She stuck even closer to Bilbo than before. She made sure that she laid her sleeping bag close to his almost every night. If she wasn't with Bilbo she was with his nephews. Thorin wasn't sure what annoyed him more. Her being so protective of Bilbo or the fact that his nephews were never far from her.

Kagome had spent a few nights during this quest cutting out little paper dolls and storing them away in her pack much to the amusement of some of the dwarfs. "The past time of little girls," Dwalin said one night as he walked past her and noticed what she was doing.

Kagome looked up and glared at him. "Just wait, Dwalin, when this little past time saves your behind."

Kili, being the curious soul that he is had to ask, "Kagome why are you making so many paper doll," He looked more carefully and was shocked, "And why do they look like us?!"

She smiled at the young Dwarf and patted his hand. Kili had a special place in Kagome's heart. He reminded her of Souta, her kid brother. So for that reason, she had a tendency to indulge Kili more.

She popped him on the arm. "Come with me." Kagome commanded as she got up and headed into the woods not even looking back.

Kili scrambled to his feet to follow. Though another pair of eyes watched intently as the pair went off into the woods… alone.

Kili had to jog to finally catch up to Kagome as she had set a swift pace to distance themselves from the camp. Abruptly she turned and faced him. "Kili I'm going to show you something and I'm doing this in the strictest of confidence. I don't want anyone else to know about this just yet. Not even Fili, can you do that," Kili nodded, his curiosity eating him alive, "Now I've already told you that in my world I'm a Priestess with a great deal of power. Well, one of my powers is creating a sort of puppet to assist me. These paper dolls are that assistance."

Kili was bewildered, "But, Kagome, how can a piece of paper help you?"

She smiled at him, "Let me have a strand of your hair Kili."

He plucked out a strand and handed to her. Kagome then wrapped the hair around the paper doll said a few words in a language he never heard before then she tossed it. With a loud **POOF** the paper transformed into a life-size copy of HIM! Kili jumped back and drew his bow.

"What is that? What kind of magic is this?"

Kagome rolled her eyes and placed a soothing hand on Kili's arm lowering his weapon. "Relax, Kili, it's not going to hurt you. It's my puppet, it's called a Shikigami. And as far as what kind of magic, my magic."

Kili put his bow down and walked around his twin, inspecting it. It looked just like him only slightly more comical. It was wearing the same thing he was had his bow and even had the rune stone his mother gave him. Kili turned and looked at Kagome.

"That is amazing! What can he do, can you make one of any of the Company?"

Kagome had a slight smile on her lips looking at Kili's excited expression, "He does anything you can do, and yes I can make one of anyone in the Company. Provided I have a piece of hair from them."

Kili gave her a queer look, "Why does he look a little funny?"

She laughed at that, "I did that on purpose so not to frighten you, but I can make him any way I want. Even a miniature version."

With that Kagome clapped her hands and the Shikigami shrank to the size of her hand and came to stand next to her, "But don't be fooled by his size, Kili, they are very strong." With that, the Shikigami picked up Kili and paraded around with him like he weighed nothing.