02 • competition

" blood does not always indicate family "

MY HANDS GRIPPED both sides of the body length mirror in front of me, my eyes screwed shut as my breathing was irregular. This is what happens when woman are forced to live up to beauty standards. Emily tightened the strings of my corset once every fifteen seconds, allowing me short intermissions to be able to catch my breath.

"Just breathe, Hadiya." She soothed as I realized I had stopped breathing entirely. The coldness of the air struck through my teeth like a bolt of lightning, jolting my eyes open to look at my now visibly refined figure in the mirror.

I breathed, "Thank you, Emily." She met my eyes in the mirror and gave me a tight lipped smile. I looked down and attempted to flatten my chest as she left the room.

A knock banged against the door a few seconds after Emily left, a familiar voice sounding through my ears. "May I come in?" Katherine questioned.

I mumbled a yes, knowing she could hear me anyways. She walked up behind me as we looked at myself in the mirror.

"You look as lovely as the sun is bright, sister. The brothers are roughhousing outside so I set up your painting station just on the deck, giving you a nice view of their games." My older sister explained as I smiled, thanking her.

I looped my arm within hers as we made our way downstairs and out to the front lawn. The brothers were running about just as she explained. I sat down at the bench prepped with my painting supplies, dipping the first brush in the water colors.

"Who needs rules?" Katherine inquired with her hands neatly placed in front of her. The brothers paused, noting our presences. "Mind if I join you?"

Stefan walked up to my sister with the ball still in his hands, "Well, uh, you could get hurt. My brother likes to play rough." He said with a sinister smile, pointing towards Damon.

"Somehow," Katherine chuckled, "I think that you play rougher." She quickly stole the ball within his grasp and starting running away.

"Why are you just standing there?" Damon asked his brother, "That is a girl who clearly wants to be chased."

Stefan kept a straight face, looking back in my general direction. Damon knew exactly what he meant.

"If you won't, I will." The older Salvatore started off in Katherine's direction, chasing her happily.

I tried my hardest not to eavesdrop on their conversation but I couldn't help it. The younger Salvatore's voice brings this weird feeling to my stomach and I'm not quite sure if I like it.