26 • catch me if you can

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
__________________
( hadiya's pov )

                 I FIND MYSELF WALKING up the driveway of the Salvatore boarding house with Rebekah by my side

                I FIND MYSELF WALKING up the driveway of the Salvatore boarding house with Rebekah by my side. I'm fresh with emotions so I thought I'd visit Damon and catch up on the past 100 some odd years.

Rebekah opens the door for us. "I'm going to find Stefan."

I nod and step into the living room, finding my way to the eldest Salvatore brother. My vampire hearing ears lead me to the kitchen to find him rummaging through the fridge.

Damon turns around to face me. "Oh, hey."

He still thinks I'm without my humanity, waiting for me to throw an insult at him.

"How was Vegas?" I ask him. He perks up at this question, freezing in his spot.

"Why do you care how Vegas was?" Damon questions, leaning against the counter.

I can't hold it in anymore. My lips form a huge smile, throwing my arms around his shoulders. He immediately embraces me back.

I release him, my hands cupping his cheeks.

"Also," I pick my left hand up and slap it across his face. "What the hell is wrong with you? Why in the world would you have sex with your brother's girlfriend?"

Damon winces, rubbing his hand against his cheek.

Rebekah shouts from the living room. "Come on, Hadiya! Let's go."

"Coming." I send Damon one last glare before joining Rebekah and Stefan.

The three of us make our way over to Professor Shane's office. I've been told we're looking for a tombstone. I've never heard of it so it'd be almost impossible for me to do a locator spell to find it.

"Well. Headstone's not here." Stefan announces, giving up on his hunt.

"Don't ripper out on me. We'll find it. Oh, you're all bottled up. You need a release." Rebekah's eyes glance between her two friends. She wasn't going to recommend something or someone exactly but she has something in mind.

I find myself rummaging through the Professor's desk, moving a bottle over to find his hidden stash of herbs.

"I have an excellent recommendation." I say, flashing them the bag of herbs.

Stefan shakes his head. "Not interested."

"What happened to you? You were so much fun in the twenties. Hadiya, you would've loved his hair in the twenties." My eyes glance up at her last sentence.

I shake my head at her with a knowing look. She knows I still feel something for him. I have no right to act upon those feelings. He's lived the past 146 years. He's had time to move on. I haven't.

After a bit more searching an unknown man walks into the room, leading us straight to the stone. Rebekah tortures him for a bit before he bites off his own tongue.

"Absolutely disgusting." I turn away from the sight to keep myself from getting nauseous.

"Was it my bastard brother or yours that compelled him?" Rebekah questions.

"Maybe it's option number three. There's another team in the race." Stefan reveals. I can honestly say I have no idea who compelled this man. I would offer Klaus just so I could have another reason to kill him.

"—IN LOVE WITH YOU." I walk through the door, catching the last bit of Stefan and Elena's conversation. His words cling to my chest like adhesive.

Did he just say he's in love with her?

Elena noticed that I've walked in, taking this as her time to exit. My gaze immediately drops to the floor.

"Sorry for interrupting. I'll go." I try to dismiss myself but Stefan speaks before I can take a step.

"No, uhm, we actually just finished talking. Damon's in the cellar. I'd like to keep him in there for a couple days so Kol's compulsion dies down a bit."

I nod. "Did you and Rebekah find the tombstone?"

"Yeah. It's... somewhere safe."

Awkward silence looms over us for a little while. I pick at a loose thread hanging on my jeans. I feel like a small child.

There's so many words I want to say to him. All of them scatter out of my brain the moment I open my mouth.

"Uh, good night." Stefan gives me a small wave before walking off to his bedroom.

I'm so close to slamming my head into a wall.

short chapter but i wanted to post something

~c