11 • the last day

CHAPTER ELEVEN
______________

               ELIJAH STANDS WITH his hand against the desk across from Stefan in the Salvatore boarding house

ELIJAH STANDS WITH his hand against the desk across from Stefan in the Salvatore boarding house. Elena is there as well.

"Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse." Elijah says as Damon hears talking, relinquishing from his room.

Stefan speaks, "Elena says that the Sun and the Moon curse is fake? That it's actually just a curse placed on Klaus."

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline," Elijah explains, "The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it, he'll become a true hybrid."

Damon joins them. "Then why are we letting him break the curse? We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"Damon..." Stefan draws out.

"No." Elena says, "Bonnie can't use that much power without dying."

"I'll write her a great eulogy." Damon jokes.

Elena glares at him, "It's not an option, Damon"

"Alright, how do we break this curse?" Stefan directs his question to the Original.

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward. The ingredients, so to speak, you already know. A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone. After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

"And where do I fit into it?" Elena asks.

Elijah grabs a wooden box from the shelf. "The final part of the ritual. Klaus must drink the blood of the doppelgänger... to the point of your death."

Damon's eyes lead to Elena. Stefan takes the Gilbert girls hand in his, giving her a reassuring look. Her face flashes for a moment and he sees a girl in this position years ago. He closes his eyes, opens them, and she's gone. Elijah opens the wooden box, removing a jar from it.

"And that's where you come in?"

Elijah nods, "This is an elixir I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina. It possesses mystical properties of resuscitation."

"So I'll be dead?" Elena says in a worried tone.

"Then you won't." Elijah states simply.

"That's your plan? A magical witch potion with no expiration date," Damon looks towards Elena, "You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"

"Those rings only work on humans, since the doppelgänger is a supernatural occurrence, odds are, the ring won't work." Elijah suggests.

Damon shakes his head, "I'll take those odds over your elixir. What if it doesn't work, Elena?"