10 • folklore

CHAPTER TEN
___________

DON'T SCREAM. DON'T move. Don't even breathe.

It's scary being asleep for 146 years. Absolutely and utterly terrifying. Especially when you're having the same dream over and over again. It's like dying. Over and over again.

It wasn't the exact same dream actually. Each day a different person I had once known dies. The way they died stayed the same, though. By me. I was the cause of their death. I was a vampire draining them of their blood. If I ever do become a vampire, I'd kill myself.

I'm dying. I'm dead. I'm not. I'm waking up. And he's staring right into my eyes. My cold, not actually dead eyes.

I think I'll kill myself now. He's right there. I can feel his breath on my face. It's hot. It's making me uncomfortable. I'm lying down. Why am I lying down beneath him? I'm in hell.

Emily. Oh, Emily is here. She's also above me. Her eyes look scared. Her mouth is quivering. Her breath is ragged and I'm not quite sure she's not going to pass out right on top of me.

I want to talk. I want to sit up. I want to scream. I want to run. But I can't move.

"You're not scared. You will obey everything I say. Everything is exactly as it was in 1492. You feel as you felt about me then and that will never change. You are alright, Hadiya, and you believe that." His voice. His sick accented voice fills my ears and his eyes are moving. In and out and in and out. I nod. I can actually move. "You may leave, Emily."

And she does. She runs. Oh, how I wish I could go with her. My eyes roll back for a split moment and I'm a new person.

I'm shackled to a table. My legs and my wrists. I sit up, viewing my surroundings. It's a building. If I swiped my finger across the mantle it would be coated in dust. There's furniture and it's an usually calm color; brown. I love brown. I think I like this room. It's comforting in some way.

He's undoing the things binding me to this place. I want to know where I am and why I'm here but I don't ask. I don't want to unnecessarily bother him. I always ask so many questions and it annoys people. I'm well aware of that.

"There you go, love." He says as he releases me entirely. I don't move, looking up to meet his eyes.

His hands attach themselves to my waist. He lifts me to my feet and we're standing face to face. A finger brushes a strand of hair from my face.

It's so loud in here. There's no voices, no movements and no sounds but it's so loud. I've never heard silence quite this loud.

"You're alright?" He makes it sound like a question because he truly doesn't know. I don't tell him that I don't either.

I breathe. I can see my breath and I know it's cold in here but I don't feel it. I'm warm. I'm never warm.

"Hungry," I talk. My voice doesn't sound familiar to me. I don't know who I am anymore, "I'm so hungry."

He smiles. He has a smirky kind of mouth. Smirky mouths make you want to kiss them.

But I don't. I remain still, waiting for him to say something. I'm so hungry.

"I can fix that." His touch abandons me. Two feet walk over to a metal box, opening it and pulling out a red bag. I'm intrigued. I think I need that red bag. I want it badly and I don't know why.

My breathing intensifies. My face itches. My eyes burn. Teeth poke my gums. My mouth aches. I need that bag.

He starts walking towards me with it. He's walking in slow motion. I need it and I need it now. I meet him halfway, taking the bag from his hands.

I meet his eyes, uncertain of what to do now. His hands take mine as the bag meets his mouth. Teeth soak into it. Liquid stains his mouth as he lets go, motioning for me to do the same.

I swallow nervously. If there's a wrong way of doing this I'd probably be the one to do it.

I bite into the bag. It's so good. This is exactly what I was craving. I don't know what it is but I love it. I chug about half the bag before I release it to breathe.

"So good. That's so so good." He wipes his thumb around my mouth as he cleans my face. I've never had such poor manners in my life but somehow I don't care.

"What is this?" I ask, staring at the bag that holds no words.

"Blood," He replies, "It's blood, Hadiya."

I'm frozen in place. Someone reaches into my chest and steals my breath. I steal it back.

Somewhere deep deep inside of me doesn't have a strange feeling about this, as if it's normal. As if it was destined to happen. Fate it a funny thing. It could tell a down right awful joke and I'd laugh.

I'm a vampire and I'm not actively trying to kill myself. If anything, I feel the most alive.

 If anything, I feel the most alive

short chapter but I can't wait to read all of your confused comments

~c