Chapter 2.

"Sera?"

Startled, Sera sat up and shouted, nearly toppling over. Panting he looked around. The angel from his dream, Rosalyn, stood before him. She smiled, giggling.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to startle you. Were you—sleeping?"

The question had been asked in disbelief. Annoyed, Sera rubbed his forehead where it had been pressed to the desk. He was sure he had a large red mark, and his neck was stiff from being hunched over. He frowned at her.

"Yes, I was."

She coughed into her hand, looking away. "Sorry."

The pair were in a room that looked deceivingly like a small library. Upon closer examination however, one would realize it was simply a room stuffed to the brim with books. Carved from the honey-colored wooden walls were bookshelves. The alcoves were deep enough to accommodate several rows of books. They were stuffed, overflowing with book bindings and parchments. These shelves stretched all the way to the white molded ceiling.

Even the floor was partially covered in books, the corners suffocating with haphazardly thrown together piles. In the middle of the room sat a thick, old Oriental rug. The edges of the fabric disappeared under stacks of even more books.

Seeming to erupt from the book-mounds were inconceivably even more books. These were stacked upon a large wooden desk, precariously teetering on every available edge.

"What time is it?" Sera asked, briefly rubbing his eyes.

"0800."

Sera stood then and stretched. "Alright--sorry about that. Let's begin then, shall we?"

They poured over an open book with a blue cover. If anyone besides these two dared to look at the text the words would appear to be quicksilver, changing and rearranging second to second. To the two Heavenly beings, however, the words were stable.

Sera was dressed in the pressed black military uniform he always wore. It looked like a variation of a United States Marine dress uniform. The collar, arm cuffs, and pant legs were edged in vivid green piping; a thin matching green sash crossed his chest from the right shoulder to the left hip, and around his waist was a thin green belt. On his feet were gleaming black dress shoes. His hair was auburn, cropped short in the back and around his ears. Long fringe fell over his eyes, covering them almost completely in stringy, greasy-looking locks.

The woman was strikingly beautiful. A flowing, low-cut white dress tastefully accentuated her womanly figure, her skin the color of chocolate. Black hair fell about her round face in ringlets, and dark brown eyes poured over the text.

Sera's wings were massive, much larger than the woman's. He had six, three sprouting out of his shoulders on each side. They were majestically white, nearly shimmering. The women's, while magnificent, held only a single pair. Currently she spoke through supple lips, her eyes drifting from the book to a map that was spread out before them on the desk.

Sera tried to pay attention as he leaned on the desk with both hands. In fact, it was utterly pertinent he paid attention. Not only was it his job to do so, but the lives of millions of people down on Earth would be affected by what they were working on.

Try as he might though, he utterly failed. He listened, entranced by the sound of the other's voice as she spoke. His pinky finger slowly struck out. Tentatively he placed it on the woman's hand.

She paused; it wasn't abrupt, she simply stopped talking. For a moment the tiny finger stayed there and then, boldly, he moved his entire hand to cover hers. Only now did the woman lift her eyes from the desk and looked over at Sera.

"Rosalyn," he said, hesitantly. When she swiveled her head to look at him he stood erect, and clasped both her hands in his own. "There's something I need to tell you."

The woman said nothing, but her eyes grew a little larger.

"I...just..."

For a moment his words left him. Then, gathering all the courage within himself, he blurted the words out.

"I can't hide my feelings any longer. These past few years working besides you have been the happiest years of my excruciatingly long life. I know I've never said anything, never hinted towards anything, but I love you Rosalyn. I can't stand it any longer; I love you."

For a long while her expression revealed nothing. No acceptance, no horror, no disgust, nor joy. The longer the seconds ticked away, the longer Sera could see the gears working in the other's head. Finally, her perfectly shaped lips formed words.

"But it's forbidden, Sera," Rosalyn whispered.

The Archangel gripped her shoulders. "I know, but I don't care."

"I feel the same way," she spoke. Sera's knees grew weak, but then grew stronger as she continued. "But, we can't do this."

"Why?" Sera asked desperately.

Rosalyn turned her perfect face away. "It would make things too complicated. Who knows how long we'll be assigned to one another. If things go south between us, it would make the work we have to do unbearable."

"Then I'll reassign you," Sera replied desperately. "I have that power. I hand picked you to work with me. I'll simply--"

"Sera," Rosalyn interrupted gently. "You picked me to work with you for a reason." A small, embarrassed smile touched her full lips. "Not to toot my own horn."

"You are the most qualified," Sera agreed. "But there were other contenders."

Looking about herself in paranoia briefly she leaned in, whispering up to the much taller angel. "What about God?"

Sera outright snorted sardonically. "As oblivious as ever..."

"But what about others finding out? Certainly we couldn't hide a relationship forever."

"Then let them find out," Sera replied, beginning to lean downward.

"But what if they tell on us? But what if we get in trouble? But what if--"

"That was one too many buts', my dear."

The pair kissed. It was mutually hesitant at first, but then the feelings they had been suppressing were unlocked and the kiss grew passionate. Sera ran his hands along the soft feathers of Rosalyn's wings, and she let out a desperate moan. An angel's wings were the most sensitive part of their bodies. They could produce great pain if harmed, but also were highly erogenous.

"Excuse me," a surprised, sudden third voice spoke.

The pair gasped, leaping away from one another. Rosalyn began to fuss with her hair, gawking briefly at the figure before them. As Rosalyn averted her eyes, Sera's mouth opened and a slew of excuses and explanations spewed forth. Rosalyn stood beside him, twenty shades of red until finally, Sera abruptly cut himself off.

"Fate?" he asked incredulously.