Chapter 2.

Einar slowly opened his eyes. His head was pounding, mouth dry as though water had never touched his lips in his life. A comfortable bed was beneath him, and he was covered in a blue blanket. He had no idea where he was or how he had gotten there.

For a long while he laid, simply staring at his surroundings, not moving. It was a light blue painted bedroom, the trim white all around. To his right was a wooden door, next to it a large desk made of the same material. Hanging on the wall was a large map of the world. Einar turned his head back, staring at the ceiling, tears pouring out of his eyes.

After a while a gentle breeze caught his attention. He looked to the left, finding an open window above him. Einar watched the white curtains blowing freely in the wind. They reminded him of jellyfish, majestic and ethereal. For the rest of his life, if he ever wanted to focus or find peace, he needed only to conjure up the image of these curtains billowing in the wind.

"You're awake," a gentle voice said, bringing him out of his reverence.

Einar turned his head to the right again. An old woman stood before him. Her hands were clasped, her clouded eyes brimming with tears. "Oh, I'm so relieved! Let me summon the doctor!"

About twenty minutes later, the woman returned with a doctor and an elderly man Einar assumed was the woman's husband. The doctor gave Einar a thorough examination. When he was done, he gave Einar a piece of candy. Ravenously, Einar devoured it. The old woman sat on the bed, her husband lingering by the door, the doctor taking a seat at the desk.

"What's your name, dear child?" the woman asked gently.

"Einar ," he replied meekly. He immediately had a coughing fit.

"May I give him water?" the kind woman asked the doctor.

"Of course. He should have some soup, too, if you have it."

The woman patted Einar 's knee. "I'll be right back."

She came back with fresh, cold water, and then whisked herself away. Minutes later she came back with a bowl of hot soup on a tray. She put it over his lap. Einar gratefully sucked it down, not even caring when it scorched down his throat. It was the best meal he had ever had, not knowing that was simply because he hadn't eaten for awhile.

"Thank you," he said when he was done. Even with just a glass of water and a bowl of soup the boy was feeling much better already.

The woman hurried the tray away and then came back, sitting back on the bed. Gently she took his hand within her own. Einar looked at her, feeling emotionless inside.

Finally, Einar spoke quietly. "Where am I?"

"Reykjavík."

"It's a good thing we needed fish," the old man by the door rumbled, his throat hoarse and his voice deep.

"Yes-we were one of your parents' customers. We would sell them turnips once a month and they would sell us your fish."

Einar 's eyes filled with tears, but he stubbornly refused to let them fall. "My parents?"

The old woman and the man glanced at each other. The woman spoke kindly, squeezing his hand hard. "We found you not far from your house. You were-well. I won't get into that. But you were injured and unconscious."

"Can you tell us what happened?" the doctor prodded gently.

Einar thought back to what had. His mother's beheading, his father's death. His sister being stabbed over and over. If he told them the truth, would they even believe him?

Shutting his eyes, Einar wrapped his arms around his knees, buried his head against them, and wept.

~