Chapter 3.

"Now!"

As soon as Raven, Sapphire, and the being appeared, several things happened. Marcus and Sires lunged at them. They were much too slow though; the cloaked figure disappeared, immediately re-appeared in a different part of the chamber, while Marcus and Sires crashed into Raven and Sapphire, and the four fell to the floor in a toppled heap. Everyone was shouting.

"People," the shrouded being said over the clamoring. "People. People. ENOUGH!"

Everyone froze and gawked. The cloak cleared its throat. "There is merely one more task I need to complete. Then, I shall return and explain everything—"

Sires, who had gotten to his feet, lunged at the person. They disappeared, Sires not even coming close to making physical contact. Their voice, however, did not disappear.

"—to you. Thank you for your patience."

Sapphire looked around the chamber at everyone. Then, she fainted.

~

"What is taking so long?" Sera asked irritably, rubbing his index finger against his lips.

Rosalyn came up behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sure he will be back any moment."

Just as the words left her lips, Fate re-appeared. Sera took a step forward. "What took you so long?"

Fate looked at Sera. "I was not gone that long. First I had to collect someone who was about to die. I lost connection with him years ago, although I do not have an understanding as to why that happened. I found the vampire we need at the hands of a rather murderous looking vampire coven, so that simply would not do. I had to go to California to collect two mortals. I was hoping to find them intact, but instead I accidentally went into the Time Frame too late. The destruction had already taken place, and I found them as spirits. I had to smooth things over with them, and—"

Sera crossed his arms and cleared his throat, raising an eyebrow. Fate cut himself off mid-sentence under the angel's withering look.

"We could proceed to the antechamber now, Sera."

Sera uncrossed his arms. "Good. Now, everyone you have collected; do they know what's going on?"

Fate paused for the flutter of a heart beat. "Some, to varying degrees. There are also some stragglers who honestly have nothing to do with this."

Rosalyn looked concerned. "Stragglers?"

"Yes. Two mortal women."

Sera moaned and rubbed his face.

"One of them knows precisely what is happening, and she insisted on stay with the demon—"

Rosalyn started. "Demon?"

Fate narrowed their eyes. "Do not question my choices."

Rosalyn became quiet.

"The other was, as humans put it, in the wrong place at the wrong time. There was not time to return her. To further complicate, her connection to me has become, well, fuzzy."

Sera honed his eyes on Fate, crossing his arms. "That's now the second time you've made mention of your connection to people. Elaborate."

"You saw how the Time Frames work. If certain things happen to a person—for example, they get turned into a vampire—I no longer am tied to them whatsoever."

Rosalyn blinked, looking between the two.

"There are certain things that I do not control. Spirits, anything in Heaven and Hell, and anything otherwise tainted."