Chapter 7.

For some reason his words made tears gather in her eyes. Was she falling for him? But the second the thought crossed her mind, the second it left. No—she was merely deeply touched by how sincere he was. She knew he wouldn't break his promise, not ever.

"Why was that vampire after you?"

"I'm not entirely sure, but I think it has to do with this." He gently pat his breast pocket where the disturbing necklace was. A faint smile appeared on his lips and he chuckled. "That's why I want to go to the library."

The library was only about a five minute drive, and that was because of a stoplight. Marcus didn't put his keys away, instead using them to unlock the library.

Zoë rolled her eyes as he shut the door behind them, punching in the code for the security alarm. "Oh come on."

"What?" he asked, not flipping on any lights. He grabbed her hand and led her along so she wouldn't trip.

"I suppose you're the mayor too?"

"Huh?"

"Why the fuck do you have keys to the local library?"

"Oh." He laughed. "No, I'm not the mayor."

"Well I didn't know!"

He laughed further. "It's nothing like that. I come here a lot. I befriended one of the librarians and she asked me why I always wore sunglasses. I gave her my usual, I have a migraine line, and I mentioned that I have insomnia and I'm up at night a lot."

Zoë chuckled. "You're pretty clever."

"I should hope so! I mean, I've made it this far."

Marcus had led her to the back of the library. Instead of turning on the main lights he went to the desk lamps, turning those on. Zoë wordlessly helped when she saw what he was doing.

"So yeah, she felt sorry for me and had a key made, so long as I wasn't going to abuse it. Which I haven't."

"So, what are we looking for?" Zoë asked once the lights were on, giving the library an eerie glow.

"I'm not sure," Marcus admitted, looking embarrassed. "I'd grab any books you can find on religion, especially Christianity. And anything on the occult." He paused. "And vampires."

"That certainly narrows it down," she scoffed quietly.

"I have really good hearing, being a vampire and all."

Zoë swore.

"Heard that, too." This was followed by a giggle.

Marcus and Zoë went in different directions. After about fifteen minutes and three trips, Marcus sat down.

"That should be good for now," Marcus told her as she arrived at the table with an armful of books. He was already pouring over a pile.

The minutes passed by in silence. Zoë unfortunately had no idea what to look for. The more time passed the more she realized how tired she was. Stifling a yawn, a thought occurred to her.

"Hey Marc."

"Hmm?" he said, not looking up from his book.

"What happens if you enter a church?"

Marcus paused, frowning deeply. His eyes then went back to reading. "Did it once. Zero out of ten, would never again."

"Oh come on."

Marcus looked up at her for a second. He then leaned back in his chair and folded his arms. "I get, well, crushed."

"Crushed?"