Chapter 8.

Zoë began to back away. Marcus simply stood, letting the vampires take hold of him. As one grabbed her, Zoë struggled.

"Marcus!"

"It doesn't matter," he said quietly.

They were led outside into the chilly night. Zoë shivered as a breeze picked up, their captors leading them away on foot. Exactly where they were going Zoë didn't know. She couldn't bring herself to look at Marcus, too upset with him. Had she looked, she would have seen a look of regret on his face as he stared at the concrete.

Three guards held Marcus as they walked, one for each arm, one behind to hold his shoulders. Zoë only had one vampire assigned to her, holding her arms behind her back. Bitterly she glared at the ground, tears spilling down her face.

Eventually they reached the Metra railroad tracks, the line that led to and from Chicago. Across the street was an area under construction. A small billboard let them know the building that loomed in front of them would be a four-story condo.

The vampires led them to the side of the half finished structure. A small courtyard had been completed, the ground having been laid with cobblestone. White concrete benches sat on either side of a very lovely three tiered fountain. On top sat a cherub, smiling and holding a pitcher which would pour water when connected to a water supply. A wooden trellis had been erected at the entrance of the courtyard. Ivy snaked around it intimately, the longer tendrils brushing against their heads as they were shoved beneath it.

Zoë and Marcus were brought about roughly, facing the street, their backs to the courtyard. Unceremoniously the backs of their knees were kicked and the two collapsed.

"You could have asked us to kneel," Marcus spat, glaring.

"Would you have knelt, Sir Marcus?" one of the vampires asked. 'Sir Marcus' had been said mockingly. "We wanted to make sure you and your guest properly greeted our Master."

"You said you would protect me!" Zoë suddenly shouted at Marcus.

Marcus stared at her, startled by her sudden outburst. Then, he narrowed his eyes. "I still plan to stand by that promise."

"How could you let this happen?"

"In case you haven't noticed, we're a bit outnumbered."

"Help!" Zoë screamed at the top of her lungs as she thrashed against her captor. "Help! Someone please help!"

"Help?"

Marcus and Zoë went rigid. A voice floated out from the darkness itself. They both looked around to make sure no one was standing right next to them, the voice sounding like it had whispered directly in their ears. The murmur filled them both with dread, crawled inside their brains and scratched at their skulls. It was everywhere at once, yet the source was nowhere to be seen.

A laugh--a small, terrible laugh--echoed in their ears. Zoë whimpered. Marcus clearly shuddered, his eyes huge.

"Help?" the soft voice spoke again. Zoë wondered if the very night itself were speaking. "How very endearing. You think someone could help you."

The shadows shifted as though it were a curtain being moved to the side. A figure stepped out, standing before them. It was much larger than any human, standing at least eight feet tall.

Black robes, which were barely discernible from the night's darkness, covered a disgustingly gaunt frame. Silver eyes were set in deep, sickly sockets. The skin was thin and pale, looking as though it would rip if this thing yawned or turned its head to the side.

Somehow the face was faintly luminescent. Despite all this the creature was stunningly beautiful, frighteningly so. Framing its lean, elongated face was straight silver hair, spilling over its broad shoulders.