Chapter 2.

Sera got to his feet. A sword appeared in his hands. As everyone stood to get off the boat, Sera spoke loud enough so everyone could hear him. "Please be careful as you exit. Do not touch the water nor the corruption growths on the dock."

Everyone filed out, one by one. Sera was last to depart. He held his hand out to Death. Death cocked his head to the side, and then shook hands with Sera. Sera smiled.

"I appreciate your help, Death. It was a pleasure to meet you."

"Oh, we've met," Death replied solemnly, "you just don't remember."

Sera blinked, the smile falling away.

"Good luck to you," Death continued. "Congratulations on your promotion, by the by. Even though it's a few hundred years too late."

Sera looked dumbfounded, unsure what to say. Everyone got the feeling this look was a rarity on the angel's face. Death released the handshake as Fate walked past. Fate came up to Hakan and Vince. Removing a large, brown leather pouch from his shirt, he dropped it into Vince's hand.

"What's this?" Vincent asked.

"Salt," Fate replied.

Hakan couldn't help but laugh. "Salt. You're telling me salt will stand up against Lucifer's power?"

"No, but it will help ground you."

The pair watched in mild disbelief as the deity walked away. Sera blinked, watching Fate as he got back on the ferry.

"Fate!" Sera said.

As Death got on the boat, Fate spoke. "I cannot come with you. It would be a gross misstep of my boundaries. I already have severely broken those. I wish you luck, and hope to see you all again." He paused, outstretching his hand. "Sapphire and Zoë?"

Sapphire froze, looking bewildered at Zoë. The younger girl returned the look. Then they equally looked from Fate and Death to the group, unsure what to do.

Biting her lip, Sapphire looked directly at Raven. Though she knew it was foolish, and though she barely knew Raven, she felt a certain connection to him. She felt obligated to see him through this, to fight through whatever was to come. She might not be able to do anything productive, and she probably would die, but she was entwined in whatever was about to happen whether she liked it or not. She needed to know the outcome. She didn't want to return home, waiting for the end of the world.

Swallowing hard, Sapphire looked back to Fate, shaking her head. Fate looked slightly surprised, and then turned his gaze to Zoë. Zoë looked at Marcus, who stood next to Sires. She opened her mouth to speak, and then cast her eyes downward. Marcus went to her and took her by the shoulders.

"Hey," Marcus said gently.

Zoë looked up at him. He frowned at the tears in her eyes.

"I'd leave if I were you."

"But--"

He shook his head. "I know you have some sort of weird Stockholm Syndrome going on with me--"

"It's not that," Zoë replied desperately.

Marcus clucked and crossed his arms, looking amused. "Yeah? Then what is it?"

Zoë reached out, grasping the cross that hung around his neck. Her bright eyes looked at it instead of him. "I just--I don't want you to do anything stupid..."

"Z.Z.," Marcus said firmly, taking her hands into his own. Her gaze shifted upward. "You're going to die."

"I might not."