Chapter 4.

Jeanette and Sera walked along the side of the road. They had traveled to the clear other side of town. Sera had wanted to teach her to fly, but she said her back hurt too much. Vaguely he remembered when he earned his second pair of wings, his four-full Seraphim wings, and how badly it had hurt. It was a dim memory, and comparatively he had suffered worse wounds in battle since then. Even so, he took into account she wasn't expecting it, and she was only nine. A pang of regret briefly clouded his mind.

It was for the greater good, he chided himself silently. She'll be fine.

"So people can't see us?"

They were walking along a main street that ran through several towns. If you followed it long enough, it would eventually wind its way to Chicago.

"Don't you think there would have been a few traffic accidents by now from two people with huge wings walking down the side of the road?" Sera smiled down at her. "How is your back?"

Though she couldn't see, it felt as though it was close to completely healing. It no longer hurt and cracked open any time she moved her wings, and for the past few minutes there was an incessant, sever itching. "Better, I think."

"Have you looked at your wings lately?"

Truth be told, she hadn't. Gingerly she moved one forward. It had taken her awhile to gain control of them, and the fact she could move her right wing independently sent thrills of excitement through her.

Much to her surprise, the wing was pure white now, dried, and glittering. "Where'd the blood go?"

Sera smiled. "Poof."

"Where are we going Sera? I'm tired."

Sera pointed up ahead to a very long, flat building. Jeanette crinkled her nose.

"The old war factory?"

It was an old brick building that had been on the edge of 19th street for as long as Jeanette could remember. It had long since been abandoned, many of its strange green-tinted windows broken or knocked out. Originally a car factory, it was converted to an airplane part manufacturing factory once WWII hit. Because of this small slice of history the town couldn't bring itself to tear the property down. Thus it sat forever, a proud, weed-ridden eyesore.

"I hate to burst your bubble, but it's not really an abandoned building."

"What is it?"

"You'll see."

When the pair reached one of the old, rusted, sliding doors, Sera hesitated with his hand on the lever. For a moment he stood there, staring at the door, unblinking. His face fell to a serious expression, but besides that became unreadable. As the moments passed Jeanette peered up into his face, waiting for him to do something, anything.

"Sera?"

Sera blinked, and then looked down at the child. "I'm sorry we had to awaken you and drag you into this."

Sera threw open the door. Jeanette gazed about herself in wonder. They were in a study of some sort, with a plush Oriental rug and bookshelves aligning every wall. Against the far wall of the room was a simple wooden door, currently shut. Sitting in a crushed red velvet armchair was a very pretty woman, also an angel. As soon as the pair arrived she leaped to her feet and rushed to Sera.

"Sera," she said anxiously, nearly tripping over one of the many piles of books. She went to embrace him but at the last moment stopped. Her chocolate eyes were large with worry.

"Are you all right?" Sera asked worriedly at her reaction to their entrance.

"Yes," the woman replied, wringing her hands. She then gained her composure and stood straighter, taking on a professional air. "That just took longer than expected." She threw a glance at Jeanette. "Is this her?"