Chapter 5.

Jeanette continued her thoughts as they flowed through her brain, following them along like walking down a long road. Everyone was the same. It was just human conditioning that erroneously made people believe they were superior over someone else. Skin color did not matter. Upbringing did not matter. Power, guns, and money did not matter.

~

"He made me too curious," Morningstar continued. "I wanted to be at His side constantly. I wanted to know everything--absolutely everything. After awhile He grew tired of me, impatient. He began to ignore me. So I began to watch Him from afar."

"Fine," Vince said, glaring, "so he was a shitty parent. That doesn't give you the right to--"

"You asked me a question," Morningstar interrupted testily, "so let me finish.

"He had this--this thing. He began making other things similar to me with it. I didn't understand--I thought I had done something wrong. I thought He was trying to replace me."

Hakan's eyes fell to Morningstar's hand as it clenched into a fist on the table. He winced.

"Then he made Adam and Eve."

~

Jeanette stepped out from behind the pillar. Lucifer whirled around. Jeanette outspread her wings almost in a daze. Calmly, slowly, she began to walk to Lucifer.

Sera stirred, moaned, and opened his eyes. He looked in awe—Jeanette had become pure light, taking on the shape of an angel. The light was blinding, even to him, and he squinted against it.

~

"They were absolutely inferior in every possible, conceivable way," Morningstar continued. "I didn't understand—I still don't understand."

Somehow seeing Morningstar cry was more frightening than what they saw Lucifer doing in the physical realm.

"He loved them. He became absolutely obsessed. And He gave them this perfect little world, this perfect little garden, and they were so blissful and I was so miserable. It was beautiful, and they were beautiful, and I hate them, I hate them so much!"

~

As Jeanette walked solemnly towards Lucifer, she thought about love. Love was the key to everything. Lucifer was how he was because he thought God had turned his back to him. If only he knew that God loved him so. God loved all His creations, even those that sinned, and especially His first child, Lucifer. Making Lucifer Fall was just a punishment.

~

"So I went to Eden and I became friends with them," Morningstar said, tears silently running down his cheeks, "especially Eve. And I was allowed to eat the fruit that grew there, so I ate an apple and I offered it to her. And she hesitated at first, but then she gave in."

He shook his head, holding it in his hands again. "And then she joyfully brought it to her husband, and he ate it, and I would've gotten away with it had they just not made themselves clothes..."

~

Jeanette understood now. God didn't hate Lucifer—God loved Lucifer. Lucifer had been misguided. Instead of learning from his mistakes, instead of the punishment being a tool for learning, the mistake had warped him, corrupted him, driven him insane.

God never expected those things to be an outcome. Had He known that's what would happen to Lucifer, Jeanette knew God never would have thrown out His Morningstar. It was neither God's fault nor Lucifer's. It was a misunderstanding.

~

"But that's not what made me Fall. He was willing to look past that transgression. However... that wasn't good enough for me."