Chapter 3.

Rosalyn's head shot up, a look of horror unmistakably etched on her perfect features.

"Yes," the being responded, "it is I."

The face was androgynous, freckled, but those that knew of Fate knew its assumed gender to be male. Wide, doe-like emerald green eyes sat in a peach-colored face. His age was indiscernible, looking as though he could be anywhere between late teens to early thirties. His hair was cut in the old page-boy fashion, a strange auburn in color that became darker and darker until it was black at the tips; this was natural, not dyed.

The heavenly beings had met and dealt with Fate before, but their encounters were far and few in between. Fate's ceaseless duties spanned all, and he had a strict code of conduct to follow. None of these rules ever allowed him or granted him the permission to enter Heaven's Gates.

There was absolutely no reason for him to be here; his duties did not include holding control over Heavenly beings. They truly had free will. He should not have been there, standing before the two angels. In fact, it was downright forbidden.

"What are you doing here?" Sera demanded.

Fate wrung his hands, shifting his weight from foot to foot. This overt display of unease shook Sera to his very core. He had never heard of Fate being emotionally affected by anything, much less witnessed it with his own two eyes.

The thought that Fate possessed emotions had never occurred to Sera, much less distress. This terrified Sera, but he never would have reached the angelic rank he had if he left fear cloud his mind. It could be dealt with later.

"I do not know what to do," Fate replied. His words were tinged with whining. "I did not know who to contact aside from you. I need your help, Seraphin. I need to show you something; I need to show both of you something. It is imperative I show you this thing."

Rosalyn threw an uneasy glance at Sera, whose expression had become stony. Sera nodded curtly to Fate. Suddenly, a sheathed sword was at Sera's waist. "Of course."

With the blink of an eye all three were transported. It was dark; they appeared to be outside.

The ground they stood upon was covered in a thick mist, but their hidden shoes clicked against a hard surface. Endless purple-gray space surrounded them, looking like the sky at twilight. It was difficult to see, even for their angel-eyes. Rosalyn squinted, looking about herself.

"Where are we?" she asked.

"The Realm of Time," Sera replied.

Rosalyn started, looking shocked at Sera. She had only heard of The Realm, as all angels and higher deities had, but didn't have a high enough clearance code to enter it.

"Why are we here?" Sera asked Fate.

"It would be best if I showed you, not told. I do not think you would comprehend the full effect; my words would fall short."

Rosalyn and Sera exchanged worried glances but said nothing.

After a few minute's walk a shadow loomed in the distance. Fate led the way, the trio remaining utterly silent as they walked towards it. The enormous, mountain-like structure began to take form as they got closer.

A huge, ornate, silver gate became visible once they were close enough. It was identical to the golden gate at the entrance of Heaven. Twin Satyr's paced back and forth in front of the gate. They were huge, easily three feet taller than any of them. As the guards walked they spoke to each other in a guttural, clicking, snorting language that Rosalyn had never heard before.

As the small group approached the Satyr's stopped their pacing, lowering their gargantuan scimitars. However, upon seeing Fate, they both let out an ear-splitting greeting, and then went back to their relaxed pacing and chatting. With a huge boom, the Gates slowly opened on their own accord.