Chapter 2.

As Jeanette walked home from the bus, she thought about her day. She had been fretting over it so much she actually felt sick to her stomach now. Jeanette figured there must be something wrong with her. Normal people didn't see people who weren't there. Sane people didn't see people who were there one second and then gone.

By the time she reached the steps of her house, she was so distraught she was near tears. As soon as she got in she would tell her mom what had happened. Certainly her mom would know what to do.

The wonderful smell of an early dinner hit her nostrils upon opening the door. Glumly, she let her heavy book bag thud to the floor. As she removed her shoes, she froze.

Jeanette heard her mom in the dining room, laughing. The sound was accompanied by a man's laughter--not her father's. Going over in her mind if her mom was holding a party tonight or not, she slipped off her shoes and padded to the dining room.

The young girl froze in the doorway. Her mom stood on the threshold of the kitchen and dining room. Sitting at the table, holding a glass of red wine, was the man Jeanette had seen all day.

He wore a simple button down black shirt, black slacks, and his feet were covered in black socks. He looked at her when she walked in. He smiled; his teeth were perfect, pearly white. She could barely discern this though, for most of his face was obscured by long, stringy, unkempt bangs.

As though reading her mind, he brushed aside the hair with his hands, revealing stunning blue eyes. They immediately caught Jeanette off guard; first, they seemed a vibrant crystal blue. Then, if he moved the slightest bit, they would change to varying shades of green, yellow, and blue. Jeanette blinked a few times, wondering if the sight before her was real.

She knew her own eyes were quite strange. At first glance they looked blue, but upon closer examination they were actually a light lavender in color. Even so, she had never seen anyone who had eyes that shifted.

"Hi Jeanette," her mom greeted cheerily. "how was your day?"

"Who's this?" Jeanette breathed, not moving.

Her mother looked confused for a moment, and then looked at the man. She then looked back to her daughter. "What do you mean? It's Mr. Elyon, our neighbor."

Jeanette took a single step back. "Mother. We don't have a neighbor named Elyon."

"Of course we do! He's lived across the street since you were a baby!"

The man smiled, swirling his drink in his glass.

"What's he doing here?" Jeanette inquired.

"It's Tuesday-he always comes for dinner on Tuesday, and then you go over there to play chess with him."

"No," she replied calmly. "I don't. I have never seen this man. Ever."

"Jeanette, don't be ridiculous."

"If he's our neighbor, what's his name then? His first name?"

For a moment, a passive look swept over her mother's face, and then she began to blink profusely. "It's--it's--"

"Sera," the man replied quickly, sitting forward. He gave a harsh look to Jeanette, a look only she caught, and then smiled at her mother. "It's Sera. You know that."

"Sarah?" Jeanette balked. "What kind of name is Sarah for a man?"

The man did not look amused. "It's see-RAH, not Sarah."

Her mother looked at the man, a look of slight abhorrence on her face.

"I'm so sorry-" she turned back to Jeanette. "What on earth has gotten into you Jeanette? You're being rude! Is this about today? You know, I got a call from the principal's office today, saying you were disrupting class. I didn't want to bring it up in front of Mr. Elyon but-"

"Mom," Jeanette interrupted, giving an uneasy look at the man. "Could we talk about this later?"

"Not until you tell me what's going on." Her mother came forward, feeling her cheeks and forehead. "Are you sick? Are you not feeling well?"

"Mom!"

The man at the table chuckled. "It's okay Mrs. Throne; you really should talk about it later." He locked eyes with Jeanette and a shudder coursed through her body. "You're clearly embarrassing her."

Just then, the ding of an egg timer went off. Her mother smiled. "Oh, the pot roast is done! I'll be right back."

No sooner did the woman leave the room, Sera sprung to his feet and came around the table. Before she could get away, Sera grabbed her by the arm. When she opened her mouth to shout, he pressed a finger to her lips, smashing them.

"Look," his strange, blue-rainbow eyes stared at her intensely. "I don't have time to explain everything to you right now but I will. I'm not going to hurt you, I promise. I will explain everything soon, but first we have to get through dinner. I swear to you Jeanette on my life I'm not going to harm you. You have to trust me. Please don't make this difficult for either of us."

For some reason she believed him. She knew his promise was as good as gold—no, diamond. This fact struck a chord in her, and she felt very confused.

"Who are you?"

"I'm an angel."

Just then, her mother walked in. Sera smiled at Jeanette and ruffled her hair. "I'm gonna beat you at chess today!" Giving her a look of warning, Sera returned to the table. "Here, let me help you with the pot roast."

The dinner was delicious. Even so Jeanette merely picked at it. Staring at her plate, she didn't say a word as Sera and her mother talked and laughed. Halfway through dinner, her mother turned to her.

"Jeanette, you've hardly touched your food, and you're so quiet."

Jeanette put her fork down, looking imploringly at her mother. "You know, I actually don't feel good. May I please not go to Sarah's house today?"

Sera glared. "It's Sera." Composing himself, he forced a smile. "You've hardly eaten anything. I'm sure if you eat you'll feel better."

"Besides," Jeanette's mother replied chipper. "He used to babysit you for Pete's sake. You've slept over there before; I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you laid down for awhile over there."

Jeanette looked at Sera. "What did you do to her?"

Sera's eyes enlarged, but aside from that he didn't react.

"What?" her mother asked.

"Nothing," she replied glumly. Dejectedly, Jeanette sat back and shoved some pot roast in her mouth, chewing solemnly.

The rest of the evening was spent in a jovial manner. Jeanette's mother even made candied sweet potatoes for dessert. This struck Jeanette as odd; her mother was a health nut, and never decided that smothering food in a glaze of brown sugar and marshmallows was a good idea. Afterwards, the pair finished off their wine and then it was time for Jeanette to pack an overnight bag.

As she did she glumly listened to her mother apologize to the stranger downstairs for her odd behavior. In the man's mollified manor, he assured the woman it was fine. Just as Jeanette thought about crawling out the window, her mother called for her to hurry up. With a sigh, Jeanette shouldered her bag and went downstairs.

"I really don't feel well," Jeanette said.

Her mother felt her head again and then tisked. "You don't have a fever. You'll be fine. I love you. Try to have fun, okay?"

Jeanette stared at her feet.

"Tell your mother you love her," Sera said, nudging the girl a little. When she looked up at him, his arms were crossed in front of his body and he was staring at the floor.

He looked remorseful.

"I love you Mommy," she said quietly.

The two left.