CHAPTER 20 - Gut Feeling [By Jenn]

7 Years Ago…

Josie was awakened from her dream when she heard loud bangs on the front door of the safe house where she was staying the night. A familiar voice was shouting, “Josie! Open the door!” It was her father. She quickly got up from her bed and rushed to the door. As soon as she burst open the door, she found her father carrying an injured man. The man appeared to be half-conscious. “Get me some cloth and bandage. He’s badly hurt!” Her father instructed her. She ran to the kitchen to get some cloth and grabbed the emergency kit on the way back to the living room. Her father had laid the man on the couch and started to look after the wounds. The injured man then weakly said, “David… he will be coming for you…”

David stared at the injured man, passed a look to Josie, then said, “Then, I will be ready”

“But…” The injured man was just about to argue with David when he was interrupted as David said, “Ed, you need to rest. I’ll treat these wounds of yours. Stop worrying about me now.” Edward Slayne wanted to say something else, but he decided not to, knowing his friend’s stubborn attitude. He forced a slight smile on his face then closed his eyes trying to endure the pain. David and Josie did their best to stop Edward’s bleeding and finally they left him to rest.

Josie and her father went to the kitchen. She made two cups of coffee for them to drink while his father loaded bullets into his gun. He arranged his weapons properly on the kitchen table and Josie sighed at the sight of that. She placed the coffee on the table for her father and took a sip of the other cup of coffee. “So, who is he?” Josie asked.

“That’s Ed. My old friend.” Her father answered with his eyes locked on his gun as he cleaned them up. “What happened to him?” Josie asked. David placed the gun on the table then turned to look at Josie. “Do you remember you first case? The guy you killed?” David asked. “Yeah” Josie answered. “Edward was the one who helped us with that one.” David eyed Josie and continued, “There were more of them.” Josie was surprised and then she argued, “But he was very rare. How can they be more?”

“That monster you killed was Edward’s mentor. The book I gave you, the one that explains about them, was given to me by Edward.”

“How did it come to his possession?” Josie asked. There was an awkward feeling about what her father was saying. David sighed as he said, “He wrote it.”

“It doesn’t make any sense. It was written several hundred years ago!” Josie couldn’t believe what her father was saying.

“Josie… listen to me carefully… Edward is a friend. The people, who hurt him, were his brothers. One of them is Edmund, also known as Eddie. The other one is Edrien. These are very powerful people and very strong. We have to be careful. Edward… is one of them. He’s the messenger of destruction. Just like the first case you had.” David explained.

Josie felt like her jaw dropped. She began to question so many questions in her head and one of them was, “They have been living for hundred of years?”

“Yes. I was a boy when I first met Edward.”

“You said they’re strong and powerful, what is it that they can do?”

“They have many abilities, Josie. I couldn’t tell. It varied from individuals to the other. Your first case, his ability was invisibility. Edward here, he can see the future, the past and read people’s mind. His brother, Eddie, he had extremely good speed. There are so many of them. I bet Edward haven’t met them all.”

Josie looked down and said, “What do we do now?”

“We go one step at a time. Track them slowly. I don’t know how. But I can always know where they are. It’s my gut feeling. I’m sure you will too someday.”

Josie smiled and said, “With all these evils surrounding us, we can use some good gut feeling after all.”