CHAPTER 11 - The Hunter [By Jenn]

Chapter 11 – The Hunter (by Jenn)

It was the night of the full moon and she knows that the creature she’s hunting is weak at this very moment. He will not be able to fight her in his condition tonight. She had been setting sight on him for almost two months now. Others of his kind will be hiding tonight. But him, he’s not hiding. He may think that he is smart enough to get away from us. He may think that we don’t know of his existence. She smirks at how ridiculously stupid this monster is. Yes. Monster. The only difference is that they don’t look hideous or frightening. They look like us. Only slightly better looking than normal human being. Over the years, she had encountered, and killed, of course, only one of them. Tonight will be her second.

She’s sitting in her 1969 Mercury Monterey that she inherited from her father while taking a sip of coffee that she bought from the nearby store. Her eyes never left the monster that is currently having dinner at the Donna’s Diner a few yards away from where she parks her car. The monster’s name is Eddie. She now knows almost everything about him. He lives in a rented apartment, he jogs every morning, he eats lunch mostly at Grenda, he often have dinner at Donna’s Diner, he visit Solitude Bar every Friday night, and he had killed once since he came here. She has to make sure that he will not kill again. She had been digging on this monster’s profile for almost 12 years now since her first case when she was 13 years old. Well, she may be young, but she is an experienced hunter. She knows when to strike. She knows when to hold back. She knows pretty much everything there is to know about being a hunter.

She started hunting at a very young age, with her farther. At the time, her mother passed away due to lung cancer. Her father didn’t have a choice but to take her with him since she didn’t want to stay away from him. But her father also passed away a few years ago and she had decided to continue her father’s legacy. Right now, at this very moment, being a hunter is the only way she knows to remember her father.

It is not easy to kill this monster. Her family found out how in a book written several hundred years ago. They can only be killed using an Athame knife soaked in blood of the same bloodline as the witch that performed the sacrifice. It is said that the monsters originated from human being that were sacrificed by a witch to summon the demon for destruction using her blood in the process. The book stated, “They can only be killed with the blood and the knife that created them”. She has the blood in a bottle and the knife in her hand and now she just have to wait for the right moment to strike. Honestly speaking, she’s excited and couldn’t wait to kill him.

Hold your horses, Josie!

The words from her father replays in her mind. Yes. She should wait.

Josie watches closely as Eddie leaves Donna’s Diner. She quickly soaks the knife into the bottle of blood and walks out of her car following him into the back alley behind the diner. As soon as she reaches the back alley, she finds that Eddie is not there. She quickly realizes that Eddie isn’t as stupid as she thinks he is. He knows that she is following him. Her eyes roll quickly to her left. She can sense that someone is behind her trying to imply a huge force on her. She slides to her right in order to avoid the swing Eddie plunges towards her. In split seconds, she kicks Eddie’s stomach. He screams in agony. She takes no time to punch his face and kick his body repeatedly before he tries to run. Eddie fell to the ground. She stabs him with the knife she’s holding all these while. His screams start to fade as his body slowly turns to ashes. She sighs feeling relief.

She stands up and suddenly her phone rings.

“Hello” she answers.

“Hi. Sienna Rose here”. An unfamiliar voice comes from the other end but Josie has a clear idea who she is. Her name surely rings a bell. Rose, as in Stephan Rose’s sister.

“Oh!” That is the only word that she manages to say since everything that happen between Stephan and her.

Sienna seems to have something to say anyway, “Well… I have a case that you may be interested in. The kind of case that you deal with”

“Where?”

“Cape May”

“Okay then. I guess I’ll see you there”