The Games

Caroline never imagined that an awkward gathering at the Mikaelson manor for Rebekah's birthday would become something much worse once Katherine walked into the building with Elijah. She had his protection in case Klaus went homicidal and tried to rip out her heart in the middle of cake, which Caroline was understanding of but nobody was sure why Katherine would bother coming anyways.

Things went from awkward to completely unbearable soon enough, nobody wanted to make eye contact or even attempt to eat their food. Which was a German chocolate cake and Caroline's favourite -she suspected that somebody like Klaus had let the information slip to whomever made the cake.

After what felt like forever Rebekah commented on Katherine's arrival, "So how did you convince Elijah to take you?" She glared at Katherine, a smirk dwindling on her lips.

Katherine didn't appear offended as she answered, her leather jacket making an awful crying sound as she crossed her arms. "At least I'm capable of getting what I want from other people Rebekah, I'm not as easily manipulated." Caroline didn't like the new tension settling around the room. "Unlike some people I know."

She obviously meant Rebekah.

"Katherine-" Elijah tried to tell her that her comments were unnecessary but was cut off when Rebekah vamp sped towards the Elena look alike and pinned her against the wall by the throat.

Everybody jumped from their places on the furniture, ready to break the two apart if a murder were about to occur. People like Damon didn't really care if Rebekah or Katherine died, he disliked them both -but Caroline was more forgiving and much less violent.

"Kinky Rebekah, I like it." Katherine kept up her bitch persona as Rebekah's fangs descended. Suddenly Rebekah flung the brunette to the ground with a loud thud.

"You're not even worth it." She spat.

Katherine fixed her hair, flinging a strand of curls off to the side, "Why? Because you know I'm right?"

The blond was angry, fists balled so tightly they were beginning to turn white. Caroline took a tentative step forward but noticed that Klaus also had his fists balled, ready to kill Katherine in a moments notice. She touched his arm to calm him -not even understanding why she thought it was a good idea. Klaus's head snapped to the side to look at her, the once burning hatred in his eyes simmering down to slightly annoyed.

Rebekah defended herself, "I could control anybody I wanted to Katherine, but I'm not like you."

"Sister," Kol began to speak; his signature golden boy smile appearing, "we all know that any man in the room -aside from your dear brothers- could get you to do anything with a couple of compliments."

"You ass!" Rebekah yelled, her cheeks would have flushed red if she had been alive. Caroline felt bad for The Original, having your brother insult you like that on your own birthday was probably one of the meanest things she'd seen in awhile.

Klaus decided it was his turn to chime in, "Rebekah Love, if anybody here in the room couldn't be controlled it would be me." He didn't appear angry but his tone was threatening, "I back down to nobody."

"Hello!" Damon interrupted drawing out the word, earning him an annoyed glare from nearly everybody in the room. He appeared not to notice and continued on, "sorry to break it to you Klaus but have you met Caroline?"

Klaus's eye narrowed in anger at Damon pointing out his weakness. Caroline's mouth opened in shock before she smacked Damon's shoulder, "Don't drag me into this!" Avoiding Klaus's eyes at all costs she turned the focus on Elena. "If anybody controls other people around here Elena could literally get you to rip your own brothers heart out! You'd do anything for her, up to and including rescuing Matt over her. No offence Matt!"