Stuck beside you

Caroline's heart felt heavy as she watched Matt depart the house. Why did Damon have to be such a dick? Why couldn't he make stupid dares like eating hot sauce or licking the toilet bowl? Caroline knew that they were all trying to win but having Matt around always made her feel a little more human -more connected. Now that he was gone Caroline could only feel his ghost.

"Damon what is your issue?" Elena asked, shoving her hands against the elder Salvatore brother. He merely smirked at her, relishing in all of their hatred. "Why would you do that to Matt?"

"It's a competition Elena, people get kicked out." He declared, bringing the bottle of beer to his lips.

As much as Caroline wanted to stand by Elena and yell at Damon with boiling rage, she knew that Damon had a point. In the end they'd all be gone but one and out of the original contestants Matt had been the weakest. He was fragile, breakable... human.

Elena rolled her eyes at him, Caroline in desperate need of a subject change asked, "Whatever, is the game over now?"

"Five minutes." Katherine spoke up, checking her phone to make sure it wasn't past two am.

Damon eyed the blond vampire sitting on the couch, squished beside the original vampire that she'd always been suspiciously flirtatious with. His sneer was devilish and Caroline took notice. "What?"

He pursed his lips, "New rule." Her breath caught awaiting what was surely going to be horrible news. "You two can't undo your hands until tomorrow at nine am."

"What?!" Caroline yelled, furious that Damon just tossed around new rules as if they were nothing. "You can't change the rules."

Shrugging he explained, "My game. Time is up in two minutes and that is the deal. Giving up already Blondie?" His eyebrows jumped trying to get the better of Caroline's anger and boy did he get it. Her inner animal instincts taking hold and roaring at her to allow them out. Caroline was close to surging towards Damon until she felt Klaus rest his free hand on her knee. Their eyes locked, his much calmer than hers. Caroline nearly laughed at the irony of the Big Bag Hybrid having to sooth the anger of a baby vampire. It was just something about Damon Salvatore that made her want to slaughter an entire village.

Kol chuckled beside her, obviously loving the new decree. "This is your perfect chance Nik! Finally getting Caroline into your bed!" Caroline scoffed.

Bonnie glared at the youngest brother, "You're an ass." He winked at her flirtatiously, seeming unfazed by her general dislike of him.

"Damon you can't just make them do that." Stefan tried to speak to his brother, bring him back to his senses but Damon blocked out Stefan's opinions entirely. By the time Katherine called out that they were all free to leave or go to bed, it was decided that Caroline and Klaus's interlocked hands would stay that way until the next morning at nine am.

Bonnie, Elena, Stefan, Katherine and Damon ended up going home, all of them sober enough to find their way back to their own beds. Caroline probably would have followed in suit if she wasn't dragging around a human sized accessory. The Original siblings also retired to their own beds, saying goodnight to their brother as they left. Caroline ignored the suggestive comments Kol made as he left, she also ignored the vulgar gestures.

"Well Sweetheart, would you care to go to sleep?" Klaus tried to sound as if it wasn't an awkward situation. Caroline didn't want to sleep beside him because she hated him, but because she was trying to remind herself why she should hate him. When she fell asleep the other night, his smell in her lungs she had smiled -she enjoyed it. Klaus made her feel things that she had never imagined she would have ever felt the night he killed Tyler. Enjoying the company of Klaus was sure to be considered sinful in nearly ever capacity but sometimes when Caroline allowed her walls to tumble down, she found herself laughing with him and loving the sound he made when he chuckled back.