Guilty Conscious

AN: Thank you all so much for your wonderful reviews on the last chapter! You all seem to agree that Klaus had been hurt and it makes you sad. It made me sad to write it to be honest!

Sarcasticcraccolawas wondering about my Never Have I Ever rules and I wrote it the way I always played it as a kid. You didn't have to actually do the thing to say it, sorry if there was any confusion. And by the way this chapter has no game its a filler and its just mainly development of relationships

Caroline was dreading waking up the next morning because that meant she'd have to face the music. That music being Klaus. Caroline shouldn't have felt so goddamn guilty about what she had said to him because after a thousand years of living she was sure an immature baby vampire saying she'd never be with him wasn't the worst insult he'd ever received. So then why was there a hole in her gut making her want to tear her hair out?

Maybe she should just say sorry? Caroline knew that Klaus held feelings for her but she completely disregarded them which wasn't fair to anybody. Not to mention the fact that whenever she got tipsy she got flirty and her target always seemed to be him.

So she'd just say sorry and she wouldn't feel so bad. Hopefully.

Everybody appeared to be awake whenever Caroline rolled out from under the soft covers of the spare room bed, feeling as if she'd been asleep for years. Her eyes were aching from the sunlight hitting them, but she used her hand to shield them and made her way to the bathroom. By the time she managed to find Bonnie and Elena they were drinking down their coffee faster then Caroline thought possible.

"What's the rush?" She eyed them warily.

Bonnie caught sight of her first, smiling ear to ear at her best friends arrival. "School, you idiot." Caroline titled her head, pursing her lips at Bonnie's sass. "You have prom committee in like an hour, don't you?" Caroline slapped her forehead at her own stupidity. God damn it I am the worst! She inwardly groaned.

Caroline noticed that Katherine and Elijah were nowhere to be seen while Stefan was nursing his own cup of caffeine beside a bitter Rebekah at the end of the table. The other blonde noticed Caroline's eyes scanning the room, "Looking for my brother?"

Caroline huffed out in annoyance, "Good morning to you too Rebekah." She didn't mean it. "I'm going to leave." Bonnie and Elena waved her goodbye, obviously sensing her unease.

It was infuriating that even the mention of the hybrids name sent chills up her spin, some were from the way she felt about him. Her attraction to him. And others were from the guilt she was trying to swallow down. God, why was it this hard? Caroline turned on her heel and left the kitchen to escape Rebekah's obnoxious attitude.

She was so caught up in her blinding self pity, she didn't notice somebody rounding the corner. Their bodies collided so roughly she lost her balance, her knees buckling towards the ground. It was by supernatural luck that the person Caroline had bumped into had amazing reflexes. Their hands gripped her arms harshly, steadying her in place. "Sorry!" She squealed, trying to regain control of her own feet.

That's when she recognized the warmth her body was feeling as skin connected to skin. The familiar sensation spreading like poison throughout her body. It was Klaus.

His smile wasn't mischievous like it normally was. Honestly Caroline hadn't even expected a smile from him. Perhaps glaring and snarling. Awkward stand off behaviour or downright vile insults but not a smile. She'd been preparing herself for the oncoming storm that Klaus was sure to unleash from her comments but he held no anger in his eyes. Caroline peered up at him even though he wasn't that much taller and caught sight of the admiration beneath his gaze.