Family is more then blood

Idea from GalvaCronos: I got one more, so you can focus on your sonic story: Basically, Meggy and Crystal have to stay the night at Charlotte and Norm's house before they move into their new house, and Meggy invites Tari over for dinner. We see moments of Crystal spending time with her grandparents, while Meggy shows Tari old memories of her before she ran away, but Tari looks a bit depressed, and doesn't seem to respond well to Meggy's questions, until she steps out onto the terrace. Later that night she admits to Meggy she's depressed she never got to have as good a childhood as Meggy did have, as her parents died, and she was an orphan, wanting a family to love and care for her. Meggy assures her that the past has passed, and that she does have a family now in her and Crystal, and they share a kiss. They spend the rest of the night looking at more old memories with Crystal, Norm and Char, and then eventually fall asleep with Crystal in Meggy's old room.

...

Meggy: Thanks for letting us stay over Mom, Moving has been a nightmare.

Charlotte: No problem honey, me and your father would do anything to spend more time with you and our granddaughter.

Off in the living room, Norman was chasing Crystal in circles around the table before he gave up, slumping on the table defeated and out of breath.

Crystal: Haha, I win Grandpa!

Norman: (Huff) Meggy...I never thought...there could be...be someone with more energy...then you...oh, my back...

Meggy: Dad, I think you need your inhaler.

Norman: Okay...I'll get it.

He turned and limped upstairs, but he was so out of breath he was practically limping, taking him 10 seconds just to get up 1 stair.

Meggy: You might wanna-

Charlotte: I've got it. Get dinner for me, will you?

She ran off and handed Meggy the mixing spoon before moving to help Norman.

Meggy: Mom, I don't know how to-! Oh Nevermind...

(DING DONG)

Meggy's fear that she might burn the house down was saved when she heard the doorbell, running and getting it open as Tari stood in the door.

Tari: Hey Meggy, I'm here!

Crystal: Momma!

Crystal ran as Tari crouched to hug her, while Meggy did the same with a kiss.

Meggy: Bluejay, I'm so glad to see you here! I...kinda got left in charge of dinner...

Tari: Whew, guess I got here in time.

Meggy rolled her eyes and playfully shoved Tari's shoulder with a laugh.

...

Dinner thankfully went off without a hitch, Although there were some inquiries into Tari's personal life that Norman made. When he asked "Have you kept you hands off my daughter?" Meggy almost choked on her food. Thankfully, Crystal had her headphones on.

After dinner as Crystal was pulling herself up to the bench to help her grandparents clean the dishes, Meggy was going through a scrapbook with Tari.

Tari: Hehe, your kidding! You actually tried taking up ballet?!

Meggy: Yeah, at one point in my life. Now that you know my deepest shame, let's look at something else.

She flipped the page.

Meggy: Aw, I remember this one!

Tari: Looks like Splatfest, but...older?

Meggy: Yeah, this is the first one my dad took me too. I loved that game, it was the moment I fell in love with the sport. I...snuck on the court as the game was on and I was saved by my hero, called himself one shot wren. I...actually got my hat from him. He told me I have the makings of a champion...

Tari smiled, with her face turning to a frown as Meggy went on.

Meggy: That same day, I got my mom's old splattershot out of the closet and tried my hand at it. Hahaha, I made such a mess of the living room, my parents were furious! But then I explained and helped clean up and...they supported me Ever since. Even after I left, I kept the Splattershot they gave me for my birthday...it was the best gift I had back then...

Meggy smiled as a tear dripped from her eye. She moved her hand to hold Tari's but...

Suddenly, she realised Tari wasn't their. Her eyes looked back and forth before she saw Tari out front on the terrace. She left Crystal with her grandparents before going outside.

Meggy: Hey, what's up!? I was talking back their and you just-!

Sniffling shut her up as she saw Tari crying, hands on the terrace as she gripped the railing so hard her Meta arm cracked the oak wood.

Meggy: Tari? Is everything okay?

Tari: N-No...no it's not...

Meggy: Babe, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to yell-

Tari: No, it's not that. 

Meggy moved to hold Tari's hand as she looked out at the moonlit sky.

Tari: Meggy, you have amazing parents. They looked after you, inspired you and they care so much about you. You have Crystal and...a family. But I never had that. I never knew my parents or...knew a family of my own. I grew up alone and when you ask a video game to tuck you in at night, it just makes beeping noises. I just...wish I had that feeling of a family...

She looked down as Meggy hugged her.

Meggy: Tari, no offence but that's crazy talk. You have a family now. You have me, you have Crystal and everyone else. It's weird and dysfunctional but...isn't every family? I mean, look at me. I left my parents and raised a baby on my own over a misunderstanding. 

Tari: But-

Meggy: No more doubts Tari. Family is more then blood...it's the people you choose to be your family. And I'm glad I have the best one around. My parents, our daughter...and you.

She and Tari both wrapped in a hug as Tari dried her tears...

Meggy: Now can we go inside? It's freezing out here...

Tari: Oh, I think I can help.

She unzipped her hoodie and put one half around Meggy, snuggling into her.

Meggy: Brr...thanks.

Tari smiled and leaned her head on Meggy's as they walked back inside.

...

In Meggy's old bedroom, Tari walked in with a electric toothbrush.

Tari: Meggy, do you have a spare charger I can-?

She stopped silent when she saw the sight on her side.

Snuggled in her old bed and Holding Crystal, Meggy and Crystal were sleeping peacefully with quiet snores. Tari smiled and quietly climbed into the bed next to them, brushing Crystal's hair and kissing Meggy's cheek before drifting off next to them.

Tari: Goodnight...my family...