Chapter Two

Days turned into weeks and weeks into months as we continued to rehearse. Even though it's rough some days, everybody in the cast and the crew is so amazing. At this point, they're just as much my family as Ben.

Most rehearsal nights ended much past 11 PM, but tonight, we finished early. Jeff released us by 9:30. Since none of us really wanted to go back to our hotels so early, Ben, Sky, Josh, and I stayed in the theater, even after everyone else left. It took us forever to choose a game, but eventually, we agreed on Truth or Dare.

So yeah, that's how I ended up playing truth or dare at 10:13 p.m. on a Broadway stage.

"Madi, truth or dare?" Sky asked.

"Dare."

He whispered something to Ben, who nodded. Sky smirked.

Oh boy.

"I dare you to perform one of your level 6 floor routines right now."

"A level 6?!"

He nodded, smirking.

"On a wooden stage with no padding?!"

He nodded again, although his smirk did falter slightly.

I groaned, stood up, and walked to the other corner of the stage.

Once I counted myself into the routine, I started.

Spin. Side aerial. Front aerial. Back handspring. Wierd flourish thingy. Run up, front aerial. Side aerial. Back handspring. Double back la--

Crack!

My ankle gave out.

A pained cry escaped my lips as the boys immediately rushed to my aid.

Sky was the first to reach me. "Are you okay? I-Im so sorry. I didn't mean --"

"Sky!" I cut him off. "This isn't your fault. It's been years since I performed that routine, and I was a little too ambitious. You didn't do anything."

"But I --"

"Did nothing wrong," I finished for him.

Ben spoke up. "Are you okay?"

I nodded.

"Can you move it or put any pressure on it at all?"

Another head shake. "It's definitely sprained -- if it's not broken."

"Yeah, we're going to the ER."

Sky scoops me up in his arms, carrying me out to Josh's car, where he set me down in the back before climbing in next to me. Josh was driving, and Ben sat next to him.

The drive to the hospital wasn't long, and Ben and Josh provided good entertainment.

As soon as we arrived, Sky once more picked me up, carrying me inside while Ben talked to the receptionist.

Not even 10 minutes after we sat down, a nurse in pale yellow scrubs stepped into the lobby. "Madison Jones-Cook."

Josh picked me up this time, but Sky trailed closely behind as we followed the nurse. Ben came too, of course.

Josh laid me on the pristine white bedcovers as the nurse checked my vitals.

About half an hour later, a radiologist wheeled in an empty wheelchair, which he helped me get settled in, and pushed me to the X-ray machine. The X-Rays didn't take long -- they never did, and Alex, the radiologist, wheeled me back to my room, where the boys seemed to be playing some sort of very intense Rock, Paper, Scissors.

"It'll be a little while until the doctor comes in with the result of your X-rays, but it shouldn't take too long."

Him and I clearly have different ideas of what 'too long' means.

An hour and a half later, my doctor, Doctor Rebecca Julianne Brooks, PhD, entered the room. She immediately pulled up my X-ray photos, showing that there was no break or even fracture.

"- which means that it's sprained."

"How long will I be out?"

"Assuming you heal properly, you'll be on crutches for about two weeks, but you'll have to wear a brace for four. Those last two weeks, you can start using it a bit more, but the full four weeks is optimal before you go back to dancing."

I nodded. "Thank you so much."

One month.

That's not too awful.

I guess we'll see how this goes.