Madi's Background Story: Not a chapter, Sorry

Madison Amelia James was born to Linda and Jackson James on November 2, 1998 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Her mother left her with her father shortly before Madi turned one. That's when her father changed. He became addicted to drugs and alcohol. Sometimes, while he was intoxicated, he would become violent towards Madi.

One day, when she was 5, she went to school with a huge gash on her cheek. When her kindergarten teacher asked what it was from, Madi told her about her dad's behaviors. That night, the teacher, Ms. Smith, called CPS to report Mr. James. 

Shortly after, he was put on trial and arrested for substance and child abuse.

That was when she was put in the system. She lived in the orphanage for a year, 'till she was six, before going to her first foster family in Minnesota. After about 3 months, they decided they didn't want her because of her natural over dramaticism.

Her next foster family was a bit different. She stayed there in Virginia, 'till she was 8, even being able to perform the title role in a community theater production of Annie. They loved her, took care of her, and even put her in voice, theatre, and dance lessons. But then, shortly after her eighth birthday, her foster parents became pregnant and sent her back to the orphanage.

She stayed there for another year before they came.

The Cooks.

Jill and Glenn Cook had four kids. Two sons, and two daughters. There was Rachael, Nicholas, and the twins; Ben and Emma.

They gladly brought Madi into their family and treated her as if she was their biological daughter.

They taught her photography and gladly put her in voice and dance lessons with Ben.

She was always closest with Ben. The two seemed to have a strong connection right away. Ben protected her, watched over her, taught her, danced with her, and was just there for her when she needed it most.

She was officially adopted into the Cook family on the eve of her 10th birthday.

She played quite a few lead roles in school productions over the next few years before getting the chance of a lifetime. 

Her and Ben got the opportunity to audition for the national tour of Newsies. 

That was Madi's favorite show! She loved the 1992 version, and when she went to see the stage version at age 12, it became her dream to perform up there, on the stage, singing, dancing, being a newsie.

When she was 16, her dream came true. Ben got the part of Race, the one with the cigar. And Madi, got a new role; a girl newsie. Her name was Scarlett, and she was Race's sister. She didn't have quite as many lines as Ben, but they got to sing together during King of New York.

Now, Madi is doing her best to put her past behind her and to live in the present, with hope for the future.

Let's see how Madi's story ends.