A new friend

After about an hour of just messing around, me, my niece, and my nephew finally decided to collect ourselves after playing some rather childish games. We ended up making our way through the desert to get closer to the temple and entered a canyon that connected into the bottom entrance of the temple.

"So...why is this canyon looking so run down...?"

Hel: "Alfheim is a realm constantly at war. Unfortunately, unlike other realms, the war is a civil conflict."

"Sort of like the vanir and æsir?"

Hel: "Yes, but much worse, because no matter what side wins in this war, the losses of elf life will be catastrophic."

Jörmungandr: "And it's all because of that light."

I looked to see the blue pillar shooting out of the temple above us.

"What about this light is so special? I asked your oldest sibling, and even he didn't have a good answer."

Hel and Jörmungandr looked at me intrigued.

Hel: "You talked with Fenrir recently?"

"Literally the day before we left. Turns out Vali's team has quite a liking to me."

Hel: "Especially that nekoshou with him."

I flushed a little, but ignored it.

"What makes you say that?"

Jörmungandr: "I can smell two nekomatas on you...and one of them is much stronger and in much larger quantity than the other."

"Since when could you detect scents on me?"

Jörm made a deadpan expression on his face as he looked at me.

Jörmungandr: "I'm a dragon king. What do you expect?"

I nodded in acknowledgment before looking back to Hel.

"Makes sense to me....so which territory are we in now?"

Hel: "Possession of territory changes hands all the time, especially in places like this so close to the temple."

I was about to agree with her when I heard shouting coming from above and a group of dark elves found themselves in front of me.

I immediately tensed up as the elves looked at me confused for some reason. Jörmungandr protectively coiled around me and stared them down, while Hel stood in front of me in a passive state, deactivating all of her magic in the process.

Hel: "We're not your enemies! Don't start this fight!"

The dark elves looked at Hel before growing angry and pointing their spears at us.

Dark elf soldier: "Outsider! Attack!"

"Does that mean..."

Hel: "What else do you think it could mean?! Get ready!"

I pulled the leviathan axe off of my back before rushing forward and slicing one of the elves clean in half, while also pulling up my left hand and parrying a spear headed for me, allowing me to slam my shield into the ground to release a small shockwave that blew the elves back.

Jörmungandr was quick to follow as he rushed forward and unleashed a fire blast from his mouth and then spit his venom onto a group of about 6 elves, who all panicked and started to yell out in panicked battle cries as they were incinerated.

Hel followed up on the shockwave I created and unleashed a jet black steam of magic that instantly killed every elf that it touched.

It all took less than 10 seconds, and therefore, the path was cleared for us to enter the building. Hel was concerned if I felt bad about killing things, but she clearly forgot that, even if you're just a pawn in a peerage, you have to kill a whole lot of things...to be fair, I didn't land the killing blow on most stray devil hunts, but I was pretty exposed to it before I ascended.