music. (one)

After sneaking past Enid with an instrument almost larger than me, Thing helped open the window while I hauled the instrument out carefully. Enid can be smart at times but one thing she never cares to take an interest at is her surroundings. I could be burning the place and she would still be glued on her phone.

~

  After setting up everything successfully, I sat down in the fold up chair Thing managed to get out.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't pouring my heart out to the music. My time at Nevermore has been worse than the time I attempted to kill my brother.

Diligently playing 'Paint It Black', I let out a sneer sigh with another deep note of music. Principal Weems has taken notice to my nightly platings. At this point, she listens to them so much so that she should start paying me to listen. All of Nevermore usually hears me but no one cares enough to actually listen.

While reading the notes and stringing at the cello, my environment was bubbly. It felt like I had a break, a purpose, and maybe even a calm surrounding. But it's like that always with me, myself, and I.

Thing turned to the final page as I shredded the cello, angelic silky sounds eroded from the internment. I held my breath while on the final page, remorse and tragedy as it finally came to one last note.

  Hence, it ended. Like all good things in life just like playing my heart out, it all went silent. I could hear coils of bugs romanticizing with calls to each and other.

~

  "How did you manage to fit that thing out the window?" The glass pane opened. Enid stepped out to view the moon and my cello.

  "I have my ways." I muttered. Sure, I'd pour my heart out to the cello, but to Enid? I wouldn't dare wasting energy on actually sparking a good conversation with the girl.

  Thing plopped down from the music sheet, running up the base of my cello until he was on the top of it.

  "How are you not scared of the dark with the monster roaming around?" Enid asked, astonished. The randomness of her questions sometimes catches me off guard, but I've gotten used to it.

  "Because it's like the saying, kill it be killed." I cleared my throat, peering away from the girl. I guess that effected her wolf-iness or something, because immediately her smile dropped into a frown.

   "Doesn't it feel lonely?" She deadpanned, staring at the moon silently. I slowly packed up my cello into it's case and shoved the music sheet in with it.

  "No, I'd rather be alone." Thing took the fold up chair inside as I sat up from it. Wolves sure are sensitive for one thing. Being alone is obviously permanent sometimes but it really doesn't matter when you have a hand as your buddy.

  "But what if you worry you'll never be like the others and be excluded?" Enid gushed out, blankly staring at me with wide eyes.

  I raised a brow, her odd questions kept getting more specific. "Then off with their heads. You wouldn't need a bunch of corpses to hold you back." Wow. I truly sounded inspirational, yuck.

  I groaned, picking up my cello case and starting to open the window again. "You don't get it." She finally confessed after a minute of silence. I raised my other eyebrow while she burrowed her head in her hands. She leaned against the cold stone railing with a weep of sadness.

  "I don't know what could possibly make you sad about being alone." I stepped away from the window and towards Enid, her head still burrowed in her arms.

  A couple seconds passed with on-going silence. "But what if we were both alone, you and me, would you group up with me?" She emerged her face up. Surprisingly, she wasn't crying as I thought she would be.

  I groaned, rubbing my face with my free hand. "Short answer, no, I'm not good in groups." Enid's face tumbled low again.

  "Why do you have to be so harsh?" She squeaked out, gazing off into the distance instead of looking at me.

  "Because that's who I am." I steadily walked towards the window, leaving Enid in some kind of utter shock. Sure I sounded sour but she just had to deal with the true me. Mean and sour, Wednesday Addams.