𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖎𝖛𝖊

~

V

~

"I keep seeing that same purple book," Wednesday explained as Thing searched the shelves of the library and Aiyla stroked Onyx.

Thing gestured to a light purple book, but Wednesday shook her head, "The cover was darker, more like a day-old contusion. Keep looking."

Aiyla looked at the sketch of the watermark from the drawing Wednesday had taken from Rowan.

They turned to see Thornhill walking down the stairs towards them, "I don't usually find students in here looking for actual books. Most sneak in to make out."

Thing hid amongst the books.

"We accidentally caught two vampires fanging," Aiyla revealed.

"I can't unsee that," Wednesday said.

Thornhill glanced at the shelves then back at the two girls, "Is there anything I can help you find?"

Wednesday showed Thornhill the drawing.

"Have you seen this before? It's a watermark from a book I'm looking for."

"I think it's the symbol to an old student society, um..." Thornhill trailed off for a moment and looked back at them, "The nightshades."

"Like the deadly flower," Aiyla mused.

"Colour us inturuiged," Wednesday added.

"I was told they disbanded years ago," Thornhill stated.

"Any idea why?" Wednesday asked.

Thornhill shook her head, "Sorry."

Wednesday folded the drawing back up and placed it in her bag. 

Onyx gave a squawk.

"I was very impressed with your answers in class today," Thornhill complimented.

"My brother was dedicated to my education," Aiyla explained.

"My mother is a carnivorous plant aficionado," Wednesday mused, "I assume I get my red thumb from her."

"Are you and your mother close?" Thornhill inquired.

"Like two inmates sentenced to life on the same cell block," Wednesday replied. 

The teacher made her way to the other side of the table and sat down, "I know it can't be easy... being the only two students to show up mid-semester. I've been here a year-and-a-half, and I still feel like an outsider."

"Is that because you're the only normie on the staff?" Wednesday queried, causing Thornhill to shift uncomfortably, "Enid told us," she stated.

"To tell you the truth, I've never really fit in anywhere. Too odd for the normies, not odd enough for the outcasts. I thought Nevermore will be different, but there's still a handful of teachers who barely acknowledge me," Thornhill revealed.