𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖊𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

~

XVIII

~

"Dr. Kinbott says I need to get out more, says I need to open my mind to new people and experiences," Wednesday whispered, crouched down beside Aiyla behind the shutter.

Aiyla smirked, "Who are we to argue with her professional clichés?"

The shutter slowly began to open, but only about a foot off the ground. Aiyla and Wednesday ducked and crawled under the opening and into the empty morgue, before Onyx pressed a button with her beak and the shutter closed again.

They quickly made their way towards the autopsy table, "While we do the autopsy, you find the files of the monster's files and make copies," Wednesday ordered to Thing.

"And you keep watch," Aiyla told Onyx.

Thing scuttled sadly.

"Oh, don't pout," Wednesday seethed, "Your scalpel skills are questionable." She opened a case of surgical equipment and lay it out on the table. "Do you remember on my 13th birthday when Uncle Fester gave me that cadaver. You sliced right through that man's carotid."

Thing gave a resigned tap before scampering away.

Aiyla sighed as she turned and opened a body locker, peering inside, "No." She shut the door.

Wednesday looked in another, "No." She inhaled for a moment, "Magnificent hematoma."

Aiyla opened another locker just as Wednesday closed the other. "There you are." She pulled the tray out to reveal the hacked and marred body of the bearded man from the old meeting house.

The furry little problem had disposed of him when they'd left.

Aiyla got out her phone and began taping her voice. "Thursday, 7:23 p.m. The body is that of a 50-year-old male." She picked up the sheet covering his body and she and Wednesday peered at the various injuries.

"Lacerations and defensive wounds appear on both hands," Wednesday declared. "What remains of the chest and torso indicates a frenzied attack. Subject has been almost entirely disemboweled."

Aiyla peered further into the locker, "This is curious. The Subject's left foot is missing. It appears to have been chewed off at the ankle."

All of a sudden, the door swung open and Onyx flew in, followed by a frantic Thing. Onyx squawked warningly. 

"Calm down," Aiyla reassured, "Who's coming?"

Onyx appeared to have been rolling her eyes.

Could crows even do that?

It didn't matter, because they could hear footsteps.

Aiyla and Wednesday shoved the man back inside the locker, exchanged a look, and then threw themselves into their own lockers.