𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖊𝖑𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓

~

XI

~

Aiyla, Xavier and Wednesday made their way to stand beside the bleachers, staring at the Mayor with distain as he spoke to them.

"Welcome, welcome, Nevermore Academy..."

Aiyla drowned out the rest of his speech, finding it boring and without benefit.

Besides, she was too focussed on the boy beside her.

His presence was overwhelming, and Aiyla couldn't help the fearful feeling that she was becoming dangerously addicted to him. The tortured artist was a drug, and Aiyla was hooked, intoxicated, addicted.

She was trapped.

She was falling into a well of despair and danger.

And there was no way out.

It was that wail of looming danger that flared within her when his hand grazed against hers. An oncoming warning declaring that doom was on this path.

But it didn't feel like doom when the warmth of his skin grabbed her hand. It was reassuring and soft.

If this moment was a painting, it would be soft strokes and muted washes of colour.

Aiyla wanted to drown herself in that painting.

But when they were dismissed and Wednesday had a vice like grip on her arm and began dragging her away, Aiyla felt as if she was doused with cold water.

The two girls jogged after the blonde werewolf with the pink, fuzzy backpack. "Enid," Aiyla called.

She turned and instantly, Wednesday held out her envelope, "Switch volunteer assignments with me."

"What? No," Enid visibly cringed, "Uriah's Heap is definitely not my bag."

"It's an emergency," Wednesday declared, "I need to check out Pilgrim World."

"But this isn't a fair trade," Enid argued, "Why would I agree to spend my day at some dumpy emporium of crapola?"

"Because Ajax is going to be volunteering there," Aiyla declared and Enid's eyes widened, "Thing sneaked a peak at his assignment."

"Where is Thing by the way?" Enid inquired, "I haven't seen him or Onyx all day."

"Thing's in my bag," Wednesday replied.

"Onyx is stalking Xavier," Aiyla answered, and when Enid and Wednesday both shot her a look she added, "Don't ask."

Wednesday shrugged, and began to turn around, "Anyway, if you're not interested-"

"No!" Enid grabbed Wednesday's arm and snatched the assignment. "Oh my God, thank you, you're the best." She giggled and squealed, handing Wednesday her own assignment, turning on her heel and dashing into Uriah's Heap.