Chapter 14

The dinner was excellent, then there was a break before speeches and dancing. Scarlett looked behind her as the sun began to set. She noticed that Daniel was also looking up at the orange sky. Scarlett quickly turned back to look at the guest's tables, the sprawling tables were filled with men in Tuxedos and women in gorgeous gowns. This was the fanciest wedding Scarlett had ever been to. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves about her upcoming speech.
She wandered to the bar to get a drink or two before her speech. She stood in line and Max came up and joined her.
       "Hey Fisher," He said patting his hand on her back.
        "Hey Max" Scarlett smiled
        "Are you in need of some liquid courage?" He laughed as he looked at the bar.
        "Definitely," Scarlett said as she stepped up to the bar and ordered two drinks, Max joined and also ordered a drink for himself and Kelly.
The bartender handed Scarlett her first drink and she quickly drank it before taking the other one.
        " Woah, is everything okay?" Max asked.
         "Just nervous about a couple of different things," Scarlett said. "Why is this the fanciest wedding I have ever been to, and why didn't I know it was going to be like this!" She exclaimed as she quickly drank the second drink then turned to the bartender who had already prepared a drink for her and placed it on the counter. She bowed her head in thanks to the bartender as she picked it up and took a quick swig of the margarita on the rocks. Scarlett looked back up at Max "There is a literal spice girl here" She said not believing her own words.
       Max just laughed. "It is quite something, but pretty normal in this friend group," he said gesturing at the Groom and a large group of men surrounding him and chatting. One of them waved max over and he excused himself to join them.
       Daniel stepped out of the group he saw Scarlett at the bar, she held her hand up to point at the sunset. He smiled a half-hearted smile, and walked up to her. "Hey, I think we should chat," he said seriously.
        "I'm far too nervous for my speech that will be happening and second. It would best to wait till after." She said, trying to avoid the awkward conversation that was about to happen.
       There then was an announcement for everyone to get back to their seats for the speeches. Daniel nodded his head then turned around to go back to the head table.
Scarlett let out a sigh and headed back as well. 
        It was finally her turn to speak she stepped up the podium with her drink in her hand. "Hi my name is Scarlett and I am one of Mia's best friends. We met back in elementary school and honestly, my life changed that day. She was the best thing that happened to me, she came into my life and then I gained a whole family." Scarlett paused and smiled at Mia's parents. "So I know how lucky Kyle must feel" she let out a little laugh and glanced at Kyle who was nodding his head. "But in all seriousness, I'm thrilled to be here tonight and to have the chance to toast this woman, my best friend and the owner of a beautiful new husband. You're the best friend a person could ever hope for. I'm truly lucky to have you. But more importantly, you and Kyle are lucky to have each other. I like to say Mia has always set an example for me to follow. Over the years she has shown me how to love and care. Today she shows me how to find a best friend, a partner, and a true lover, all in one person. I hope that I am just as lucky someday to find someone who loves me as much as I know Kyle loves Mia." Mia took a breath. "I have one quote to leave you two newlyweds with, May your love be modern enough to survive the times and old-fashioned enough to last forever. Here is to the happy couple!" She said holding up her drink.       

        The tables of guests clinked their glasses together. A slight chatter broke through the gardens as Mia and Kyle gave Scarlett a big hug as she passed them to go back to her seat.
Liam also stood up and gave her a kiss on the cheek as she passed me. Scarlett quickly returned the kiss on the cheek and then finally sat down. She figured she would be getting broken up with or whatever you call it after knowing a man for 5 days, so what did it matter what he thought?
       She sat down and took in the rest of the speeches and The first dance. The dance floor was announced open. Scarlett didn't feel up for it and needed to have a quick minute to herself. She snuck back onto the balcony to catch the last of the sunset overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. She placed her hands on the railing of the balcony and let out a sigh.
       A voice from behind her spoke "I knew I'd find you here"
       She didn't turn around but waited until the person was standing next to her. She looked up at them. "Oh, Hi Daniel," she said without much emotion.
        "Can we chat?" He asked, still looking at her.
"Sure, what about?" She said avoiding eye contact.
        "Us," he said and took a breath in. "There is something I have been needing to tell you" He paused, "there is something you need to kn-"
          Scarlett held her hand up to him to stop him from saying anything further "Can we not, I don't want to go there, I know that you're going to try to let me down easy. I know we won't work in our real lives but please don't make this wedding a bad memory by trying to end things before I leave." She said flustered and looked up at him.
        Daniel's eyes widened a bit.
        "Look, I have been having a great time with you, please don't take away a fun night between us before we walk away from each other forever." She trailed off saddened by her own words.
        "Scarlett, there is something I need to tell you though" he insisted.
        She shook her head "honestly it doesn't matter to me, whatever you need to tell me won't affect how we end" she pointed between herself and Daniel to emphasize we.
        "I feel like me not being honest with you may change your opinion of me" he admitted.
        "You are a fun, kind and thoughtful guy, nothing will change that," Scarlett said stepping closer to him. "I didn't realize I could actually catch feelings this quick. But it doesn't matter, we won't happen. Let's enjoy this last night" she said looking into his eyes.
         "if you insist." He said grinning but a sad look flashed through his eyes. "Next question, can I kiss you?" He asked, almost sounding desperate.
         Scarlett was surprised by his response, she figured he finally understood that this was only temporary "This is our last night together, you could probably do more than that" she winked and pulled him in for a kiss. She was shocked by her own boldness.
        Daniel took her hand and led her through the Villa and back to the reception area. The dance floor was crowded, and a fast song was pumping through the speakers. He led her onto the dancefloor, wrapped one hand around her waist the other stayed holding her hand. Scarlett followed his lead and placed her hand on his shoulder. She looked at him and he grinned and pulled her close so there was no space between them.
         A slow song came through the speakers, Scarlett stepped away, assuming that the fun was over. Daniel took her hand and pulled her back into his embrace. Scarlett leaned her head into his chest. Feeling his chest rise and fall and his heartbeat was the calmest she had felt this past week. The song ended and Scarlett suggested that a drink would be a good idea.
         Daniel took her hand again and led her to the bar and ordered them both a drink. As they finished the first sip of their drinks. Scarlett looked over, "Want to go for a walk?" She said taking his hand and leading him into the garden. The path was lined with lanterns that made it look like the plants and nature were glowing. They wandered down a winding path. They found a fountain that sat behind a hedge fence, it was quiet and peaceful.
          When looking at the fountain and its gorgeous flowers floating in the water, Scarlett shivered as the night air had cooled down considerably. Without hesitation, Daniel took his tuxedo jacked off and draped it over her shoulders. She pulled it closed around her body, letting the sweet yet musky smell of Daniel envelope her. She smiled up at him. "Thanks," She said as she kissed him on the cheek.
          "Not a problem at all" He smiled and without breaking eye contact he pulled her in for a kiss.
         Scarlett deepened the kiss immediately. Letting her sink deep into his chest. Her hands explored his chest, she could feel the smile grow on his face as she touched him. His hands explored her back, one hand slipping down to her back and then lower, he cheekily squeezed her butt causing Scarlett to lean back a bit. "You like that?" She said flirtatiously as she started to unbutton his white tuxedo shirt. He looked down at her with a devilish grin and he squeezed one more time. Causing Scarlett to let out a quiet moan.
         "I think you like that," He said quietly into her ear as he kissed her neck and down to her collarbone. She tilted her head back and ran her hands along his arms and one hand tugged at the hair at the nape of his neck.
        The silence of the tranquil gardens was broken by the sound of distant laughter. Scarlett pulled away. "I think we should head back, if we stay here, things could get dangerous" She winked at him. "Another dance?" She suggested as she walked away from him.
       Daniel scrambled to follow her and put his arm around her shoulder, they emerged from the gardens and were welcomed by Max, Charles, and Pierre who were laughing at the entrance to the gardens.
        Charles raised his eyebrows and looked between the two of them, "Nice hair you two" He said slyly.
       "Settle down, nothing happened, we just went for a walk." Daniel said back a little convincingly.
       "Sure you did" Pierre laughed.
       "Give it a rest guys" Scarlett laughed. "Let me have a good night before I catch my flight back to reality tomorrow." She said. "Also, you should enjoy my company since we will never see each other after this, and let's face it. You will all miss me" She said with an odd amount of confidence. Scarlett immediately regretted it but the boys just laughed.
      "You're right," Max said with a warm smile.
       "Let's get this girl another tequila" the group of guys led her to a table, sat her down and place yet another Margarita in front of her. Then they quickly passed out a margarita to everyone at the table and the people surrounding it.
       "Everybody, a quick toast to a girl that has been very fun to hang out with this week," Daniel said holding up his drink and winking at her. 
       The group all then took a drink. Scarlett blushed and sank into her seat. It was really an unbelievable night. She looked past the group surrounding the table and saw Kyle and Mia dancing away romantically under the stars. Mia noticed and smiled at her, Scarlett returned the smile and then looked back at the table.
        Daniel sat next to her and she smiled at him.
        "Sorry, but I don't know half of these people" She whispered to him.
       "Oh, quick intros then, this is George, Lando, Yuki, Sergio, Lewis, Mick, Kevin, Nicky, Lance, Alex and Carlos." Daniel rattled off while pointing at each of the men who waved.
        "Wow, so you are all childhood friends of Kyle?" She asked feeling the alcohol coursing through her system.
         "Oh, yes" Daniel quickly answered before the guys could respond. Scarlett noted some interesting looks from them. The one man named Lewis let out a bit of a chuckle and took a sip of his drink his eyes widening every so slightly.
       Daniel then quickly pulled Scarlett away from the group and back onto the dance floor.

Authors note! A bonus chapter! Next chapter will be up Friday. Please vote and comment! Love all the support this story is getting 💛