Chapter 28 - The End

Author's Note: To enhance this chapter, I suggest having the song Golden Hour (instrumental) - JVKE ready to play and when you get to the yellow heart emoji, hit play :). It seems like an odd request, but it will be worth it.

Scarlett woke up slowly. The sun was still down and the cabin was quiet. She got up, threw on a sweatshirt and shorts since it was still a little chilly outside and the pitch black sky was oddly comforting.

Her phone binged and she quickly picked it up and saw an email from her boss Mark Stevens. Her heart lurched. She needed coffee first before opening that email.

She wandered around the expansive cabin looking to see if Mia and Thomas had shown up yet. She checked the bedrooms then went down to the kitchen to see if anyone was there.

No signs of life were anywhere.

They were supposed to be in today, but Scarlett didn't know the time, she forgot to ask before she flew home from Hungary.

"That's new" she said to herself as she walked up to a new appliance in the kitchen she hadn't seen before.

Scarlett stood in front of the fancy coffee machine in the kitchen and finally figured out how to make herself a cup of coffee. Once it was brewed she headed outside to the dock.

The wide dock usually sported a fancy motorboat tied to the end. But since Mia's parents weren't there this week, no boat. Just two Red muskoka chairs. Scarlett sunk down into one of the wide chairs. The big wooden chair was oddly comfortable for only being made of wood and no cushions.

She took a sip of her coffee and took in the mountains and forests that surrounded her. The peaceful lake was like glass, no movement at all. The quiet of nature was calming and the faint chirps of birds and squeaks of insects waking up were comforting.

Scarlett let out a sigh as she looked towards the sky. It was time to open that email. She unlocked her phone, her jaw fell to the floor. The article that she submitted yesterday was apparently the talk of the F1 fanbase. She read the email and was still in shock, there was an attachment to the email. She opened it. A gasp left her lungs. She was offered a contract for the rest of this F1 season as well as the following 2023-24 season.

Her heartbeat quickened as she thought about the fact that she would need to face Daniel in the paddock everyday. She leaned her head back into the hard chair and rubbed her face. This was a decision she couldn't make lightly.

With the decision looming her mind started bringing up Liam's comments about keeping Daniel away from her. She started to think about what he said. 'You haven't even figured it out yet' She thought about what he could mean by that, but something wasn't adding up. "Blocked" was the word that Scarlett had latched onto.

Pulling up the settings menu on her phone, she went to security and then blocked numbers. There was a number there, with an area code that wasn't familiar to her, it was one number off of the number Liam had given her for Daniel.

"Fuck" She exasperated as she had a flood of emotions, Liam had blocked Daniels number... Scarlett's first reaction was to throw her phone into the lake, but she stopped herself. She took a deep breath and took a moment to calm down.

The sun was slowly starting to rise, and the sky was turning a light shade of purple. Scarlett took in the sight and exhaled loudly, trying to forget about the mess of her romantic life. Scarlett was so angry that Liam blocked Daniel's number without her realizing. He had managed them to keep the two of them apart, for such a stupid reason. She pulled out her phone and took a photo of the now purple and orange swirled sky.